Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Verse of the Day 2/17

 
Psalm 119:17-18 Deal bountifully with Your servant, that I may live; and I will observe Your word [hearing, receiving, loving, and obeying it].

18 Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of Your law. Amplified Bible (AMP)

 
 
Due to the inclement weather, our community Bible reading group was not able to meet last night, but today's verses were a reflection on what should be in our hearts and minds as we read through God's Word whether or not we can get together.    In this passage we have the psalmist's prayer that God would reveal Himself in His Word.  I like how the Amplified Bible describes it, observing God's Word involves "hearing, receiving, loving and obeying it."
 
There are times in our lives when it seem like we're stumbling along in the dark.  Bumping into things and figuratively stubbing our toes or worse because we're not paying enough attention to where we are or where we are going.  God's Word is there to guide us, to help us navigate through those times if only we would "observe" as described above. 
 
The call, the prayer is actually for God, through His Word to be "our vision".  Take a minute our two and read along or sing out loud the words to the old hymn that rings true and that thankfully, we still sing in our church services.
 

Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;
Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight;
Thou my soul's Shelter, Thou my high Tower:
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.

Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven's joys, O bright Heaven's Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.

Read also the passage in Psalm 119 from The Message (below).  God will be generous to those who feel "soul starved, hungry, ravenous, with an insatiable appetite for His Word.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Psalm 119:17-24The Message (MSG)

17-24 Be generous with me and I'll live a full life;
    not for a minute will I take my eyes off your road.
Open my eyes so I can see
    what you show me of your miracle-wonders.
I'm a stranger in these parts;
    give me clear directions.
My soul is starved and hungry, ravenous!—
    insatiable for your nourishing commands.
And those who think they know so much,
    ignoring everything you tell them—let them have it!
Don't let them mock and humiliate me;
    I've been careful to do just what you said.
While bad neighbors maliciously gossip about me,
    I'm absorbed in pondering your wise counsel.
Yes, your sayings on life are what give me delight;
    I listen to them as to good neighbors!

No comments: