Thursday, October 13, 2016

Verse of the Day 10/13


Philippians 4:11-12  Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. 12 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.  English Standard Version (ESV)

Our men's Bible study group finished our study in Philippians this week and today's passage was a major portion of what we talked about and it revolved around contentment.  It is something that is desperately needed in our lives in today's society of "more".  But the contentment here is more than just finances and possessions it is in all aspects of our lives.  It is not passive, it does not just sit back and wait for whatever comes our way, but it is accepting God's plan for us, whatever it is.

We notice in verse 11 that contentment is something that is learned.  It doesn't come naturally, our natural tendency is to want more and to keep it for ourselves.  We can learn to be satisfied with less.  Charles Spurgeon writes, " We look for more in this life than it will ever yield to us. If we would be satisfied with less--we would be less dissatisfied. Probably there is as much happiness in one station of life as in another--if we are content in that situation which the Lord has placed us in. "  Think about that "if we would be satisfied with less, we would be less dissatisfied".

In reading the passage from The Message (below) a key component is"facing life" with the proper perspective .  Puritan Author Thomas Watson writes, "Contentment is . . .

a remedy against all our troubles,

an alleviation to all our burdens,

the cure of to every worry.


As medicine works disease out of the body--so contentment works trouble out of the heart. Holy contentment keeps the heart from fainting. Contentment is the golden shield, which beats back all discouragements.


Contentment, though it is not properly a grace (it is rather, a disposition of mind,) yet in it there is a happy mixture of all the graces. Contentment is a most precious compound! The ingredients put into it are faith, patience, meekness, humility, etc. "

May we live with the proper perspective, the right "mind set" and focus on the right things, the things above

Colossians 3:2English Standard Version (ESV)

Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Philippians 4:10-14Amplified Bible (AMP)

God's Provisions

10 I rejoiced greatly in the Lord, that now at last you have renewed your concern for me; indeed, you were concerned about me before, but you had no opportunity to show it. 11 Not that I speak from [any personal] need, for I have learned to be content [and self-sufficient through Christ, satisfied to the point where I am not disturbed or uneasy] regardless of my circumstances. 12 I know how to get along and live humbly [in difficult times], and I also know how to enjoy abundance and live in prosperity. In any and every circumstance I have learned the secret [of facing life], whether well-fed or going hungry, whether having an abundance or being in need. 13 I can do all things [which He has called me to do] through Him who strengthens and empowers me [to fulfill His purpose—I am self-sufficient in Christ's sufficiency; I am ready for anything and equal to anything through Him who infuses me with inner strength and confident peace.] 14 Nevertheless, it was right of you to share [with me] in my difficulties.

  

No comments: