Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Verse of the Day 10/5


 
Isaiah 55:2-3   Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread,
    and your labor for that which does not satisfy?
Listen diligently to me, and eat what is good,
    and delight yourselves in rich food.
Incline your ear, and come to me;
    hear, that your soul may live;
and I will make with you an everlasting covenant,
    my steadfast, sure love for David.  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
Today's verse of the day from Bible Gateway was from verse 6 in this  passage and states ""Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near."  It is  a good  reminder,  good advice for us to do any day of  the year, every day of our lives,  but  especially in times of trouble, stress or  fear.  There is little  tab after the verse in  Bible  Gateway that gives you an option to click  on it  and  read the whole chapter.  I am  familiar  with  the  chapter which begins with "you who are thirsty, come to the waters...even if you have  no money,  Come, buy and  eat!.  We may be spiritually drained, empty, out  of funds as it  were, it  doesn't matter, come to Him and He  will give you what you  need.
 
As I read  today's verse about spending  our money on things  that don't  satisfy I was reminded of  the Weight Watchers  program  that I  was following  earlier  in  the  year.  Each  day you  are given a  certain number  of points  that  you can choose  how you will  spend them.  You can use  all  of  your  points  on  candy, pop, and  potato chips but at the  end of the  day you'll find  yourself  hungry and desiring  something  of substance.  But if  you've used, spent  all  of your points  and  you want to stay with the plan, you'll  have  to  go  hungry.  Jesus offers us Spiritual  food that  will  sustain us,  strengthen us, and satisfy us  and it won't  cost  us any points, but we do have to come to Him, carve  out some time in our day to seek Him and to feed on His  Word.  We are to "incline our ear", lean  into Him and He will tell us  what He has for us.
 
We can try to live a life  for God  on our own, without actually spending  time with Him.  You may ask  yourself WWJD, "what would Jesus do?".  It  is a good start but if it  is  done without  spending  time  with Him in His Word  and  praying  over it, we end up doing what we think Jesus would do which can be far from what we have in our minds.  Verse 8 in the  passage states, "for my thoughts are not your  thoughts". The best remedy is  to carve  out that time, spend time  with  Him and do  what He  did, do what the Apostle  Paul and  others did in the  power  of  the Spirit .  His Word, His food will accomplish His purposes, it won't return empty (v.11) or leave us empty.
 

Isaiah 55:8-11English Standard Version (ESV)

For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
    neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
    so are my ways higher than your ways
    and my thoughts than your thoughts.
10 "For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven
    and do not return there but water the earth,
making it bring forth and sprout,
    giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater,
11 so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth;
    it shall not return to me empty,
but it shall accomplish that which I purpose,
    and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it.
 
 
Blessings,
 
Mike
 
Isaiah 55:1-7The Message (MSG)
Buy Without Money
55 1-5 "Hey there! All who are thirsty,
    come to the water!
Are you penniless?
    Come anyway—buy and eat!
Come, buy your drinks, buy wine and milk.
    Buy without money—everything's free!
Why do you spend your money on junk food,
    your hard-earned cash on cotton candy?
Listen to me, listen well: Eat only the best,
    fill yourself with only the finest.
Pay attention, come close now,
    listen carefully to my life-giving, life-nourishing words.
I'm making a lasting covenant commitment with you,
    the same that I made with David: sure, solid, enduring love.
I set him up as a witness to the nations,
    made him a prince and leader of the nations,
And now I'm doing it to you:
    You'll summon nations you've never heard of,
and nations who've never heard of you
    will come running to you
Because of me, your God,
    because The Holy of Israel has honored you."
6-7 Seek God while he's here to be found,
    pray to him while he's close at hand.
Let the wicked abandon their way of life
    and the evil their way of thinking.
Let them come back to God, who is merciful,
    come back to our God, who is lavish with forgiveness.
 
 


Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

No comments: