Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Verse of the Day 10/4


Revelation 1:9  I, John, am your brother and your partner in suffering and in God's Kingdom and in the patient endurance to which Jesus calls us. I was exiled to the island of Patmos for preaching the word of God and for my testimony about Jesus.  New Living Translation (NLT)

Yesterday in the passage from Philippians 4 we considered Paul's urging to "let your reasonableness be known to everyone", and to think, to focus on what is right and just and pure.  If we do so we won't be Lone Ranger Christians, we'll realize that we are in this together, which also means that we'll be looking out for each other, having each others back.

Our Pastor Bob just began a study in the first  three books of Revelation.  It is a letter from John to the 7 churches in the region.  It was written while he was in exile on the isle of Patmos.  Though separated by miles and water, he was not alone.  The Lord was with Him as were the people of the churches that he was writing to, they were on his heart as he wrote these words.

What caught my attention were his words "your partner in suffering".  He had his own troubles but he didn't wallow in them, he was a see-through-er and was looking to what lies ahead.  Along with their suffering and trials, John points out some other things that they have in common:  persecution, opposition to their faith; being members of a community, the church, with Christ as their Lord and King; anticipation for His return and establishing His Kingdom, one that could not be shaken; and the ability to endure and persevere in troubled times in the strength and power of Jesus Christ.

Written a couple  of thousand years ago, his message is true today.  John, along with the great cloud of witnesses, our families and church family today are our partners.  We should never feel alone and we should never let  those  among us who  are hurting to feel alone.  Let them know that you are there with them "all the way" (The Message) as John was to the 7 churches.  Pray for them, encourage them and help them to look forward to the coming Kingdom.

All the way my Savior leads me; what have I to ask beside? 
Can I doubt His tender mercy, who through life has been my Guide?
Heavenly peace, divinest comfort, here by faith in Him to dwell! 
For I know whate'er befall me, Jesus doeth all things well. 

All the way my Savior leads me, cheers every winding path I tread, 
Gives me grace for every trial, feeds me with the living bread. 
Though my weary steps may falter, and my soul athirst may be, 
Gushing from the Rock before me, lo! a spring of joy I see. 

All the way my Savior leads me; Oh, the fullness of His love! 
Perfect rest to me is promised in my Father's house above. 
When my spirit, clothed immortal, wings its flight to realms of day, 
This my song through endless ages: Jesus led me all the way. 
--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Revelation 1:4-17The Message (MSG)

His Eyes Pouring Fire-Blaze

4-7 I, John, am writing this to the seven churches in Asia province: All the best to you from The God Who Is, The God Who Was, and The God About to Arrive, and from the Seven Spirits assembled before his throne, and from Jesus Christ—Loyal Witness, Firstborn from the dead, Ruler of all earthly kings.

Glory and strength to Christ, who loves us,
    who blood-washed our sins from our lives,
Who made us a Kingdom, Priests for his Father,
    forever—and yes, he's on his way!
Riding the clouds, he'll be seen by every eye,
    those who mocked and killed him will see him,
People from all nations and all times
    will tear their clothes in lament.
    Oh, Yes.

The Master declares, "I'm A to Z. I'm The God Who Is, The God Who Was, and The God About to Arrive. I'm the Sovereign-Strong."

9-17 I, John, with you all the way in the trial and the Kingdom and the passion of patience in Jesus, was on the island called Patmos because of God's Word, the witness of Jesus.

  

No comments: