Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Verse of the Day 10/9

Verse of the Day 10/9

John 16:33   I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world."    English Standard Version (ESV)

The other day in quoting Romans 8:28 and "all things work together for good" I stated that while our son Jeff's accident left him permanently disabled, God in His mercy, also has left him "enabled" to experience joy, happiness, hope, peace and love every day of his life and for the rest of his life.  In today's verse, Jesus says to all of His followers that we may have peace.  Yes, we will face trials, challenges and "tribulation",  but "take heart".  Jesus has overcome the world and through Him we can all be, we all are overcomers.

In Romans 8 we read three times of "all things".  In all our doubts and fears; in our trials and tribulation; in our distress and our anxiety;  He offers us peace.  He has been there, faced persecution, and unjust trial, false accusers, brutal punishment for things he didn't do.  He overcame them all and offers the same for us, leading to an eternity with Him.

Read the passage below.  Draw near to Him and when you feel like you are overwhelmed, overcome by the world, take heart,  be an overcomer.

Whatever it is you may be going through
I know he's not gonna let it get the best of you
You're an overcomer
Stay in the fight 'til the final round
You're not going under
'Cause God is holding you right now
You might be down for a moment
Feeling like it's hopeless
That's when he reminds you
That you're an overcomer
You're an overcomer        (Mandisa)
--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

John 16:25-33 The Message (MSG)

25-28 "I've used figures of speech in telling you these things. Soon I'll drop the figures and tell you about the Father in plain language. Then you can make your requests directly to him in relation to this life I've revealed to you. I won't continue making requests of the Father on your behalf. I won't need to. Because you've gone out on a limb, committed yourselves to love and trust in me, believing I came directly from the Father, the Father loves you directly. First, I left the Father and arrived in the world; now I leave the world and travel to the Father."

29-30 His disciples said, "Finally! You're giving it to us straight, in plain talk—no more figures of speech. Now we know that you know everything—it all comes together in you. You won't have to put up with our questions anymore. We're convinced you came from God."

31-33 Jesus answered them, "Do you finally believe? In fact, you're about to make a run for it—saving your own skins and abandoning me. But I'm not abandoned. The Father is with me. I've told you all this so that trusting me, you will be unshakable and assured, deeply at peace. In this godless world you will continue to experience difficulties. But take heart! I've conquered the world."

No comments: