Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Verse of the Day 7/14

Verse of the Day 7/14

Psalm 130:5-6   With all my heart,

I am waiting, Lord, for you!
    I trust your promises.
I wait for you more eagerly
    than a soldier on guard duty
    waits for the dawn.
Yes, I wait more eagerly
    than a soldier on guard duty
    waits for the dawn.    Contemporary English Version (CEV)

I woke up early this morning, before the dawn and I was sitting in my recliner watching the sky begin to brighten as I read Psalm 30 in my daily reading in the Psalms.  Thankfully, I wasn't awake all night waiting for the dawn, however, it did give me pause to consider the feeling and what it must have been like for the soldier assigned to keep watch through the night.   When there is not much going on, especially with the threat of danger, it seems like time is almost at a standstill.  The brightening of the sky can warm the heart of one who has endured the long night, possibly the "dark night of the soul."

With all that is going on in today's society there are plenty of things that people are waiting and longing for.  It may be for a diagnosis for recent tests; it may be waiting to recover from an illness or financial hardship, not knowing where the money will come from; or it just may be waiting for this whole pandemic to be over and be a thing of the past.  Regardless of what it is, we as Christians are to put our faith and trust in the Lord, knowing that he will see us through.

John Calvin wrote, "God will come to our aid, for He has promised; and by the second, that He will do so in due time, not later than He ought."  He is there through the dark night and has assigned the time for the light to dawn.  He has assigned the time for the light to dawn on us in the circumstances and challenges that we are facing during these times. 

We are to wait, eagerly for Him to shine.  Consider what it looks like, what it means to "wait eagerly" on God.  It is not just sitting back and doing nothing.  Perhaps you might see where God is working around you, perhaps help in someone else's time of needand join in while you wait.

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Psalm 130:5-8 English Standard Version (ESV)

I wait for the Lord, my soul waits,
    and in his word I hope;
my soul waits for the Lord
    more than watchmen for the morning,
    more than watchmen for the morning.

O Israel, hope in the Lord!
    For with the Lord there is steadfast love,
    and with him is plentiful redemption.
And he will redeem Israel
    from all his iniquities.

No comments: