Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Verse of the Day 7/15

Verse of the Day 7/15

Psalm 119:105 Your word is a lamp to my feet

    and a light to my path.    English Standard Version (ESV)

I try not to use the same verse multiple times in a year in these posts, and I'm sure that I've used today's verse this year, but "a real life experience" caused me to go to it once more.  On Sunday my wife Jean and I took our four grandkids ages 5 -12 on a hike in the woods along a river.  As we walked you could see all kinds of roots sticking up from the floor of the path.  Someone was bound to trip and wouldn't you know it, it was the youngest,  five year old Jack, who tripped and fell.  I asked him if he knew what tripped him up, he said yes but that it was because his sister Ava distracted him that truly caused him to fall.  Right then I knew that it was the perfect lead in to the family devotions that we had with the kids every night while we've had them.

We talked about God's Word, the Bible, and how important it was for us to guide us in our lives.  We pointed out to the kids that the "lamp" for the feet was for the where we were at the present time, even for the exact moment.  We could see what was right there  in front of us.  The light for the path was compared to a flashlight to look ahead down the path to prepare us for what was coming.  I think they got the idea.

It was a fun time hiking with them, avoiding most of the roots along the path and a few logs to cross over.  We also forded a stream walking on the slippery rocks and through the water, holding the little ones hands to get to the other side.  It was all and adventure, especially for the younger ones.  Life can be that way as well.  Hopefully, they will learn as they grow, how important God's Word will be for them as they navigate that paths and streams in life.

Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path
Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path
When I feel afraid
Think I've lost my way
Still you're there right beside me
And nothing will I fear
As long as you are near
Please be near me to the end
Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path
Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path
I will not forget
Your love for me and yet
My heart forever is wandering
Jesus be my guide
And hold me to your side
I will love you to the end



--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Psalm 119:105-112 English Standard Version (ESV)

Nun

105 Your word is a lamp to my feet
    and a light to my path.
106 I have sworn an oath and confirmed it,
    to keep your righteous rules.
107 I am severely afflicted;
    give me life, O Lord, according to your word!
108 Accept my freewill offerings of praise, O Lord,
    and teach me your rules.
109 I hold my life in my hand continually,
    but I do not forget your law.
110 The wicked have laid a snare for me,
    but I do not stray from your precepts.
111 Your testimonies are my heritage forever,
    for they are the joy of my heart.
112 I incline my heart to perform your statutes
    forever, to the end.[a]

No comments: