Saturday, July 25, 2020

Verse of the Day 7/25

Verse of the Day 7/25

Psalm 119:60  I hurried, not hesitating

to keep Your commands.     Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

As I was having my morning cup of coffee this morning I read today's verse as the verse of the day from Bible Gateway.  Then my wife asked me if I was going to ride my bike this morning.  I hesitated in answering her.  I had to think about it, it is muggy, it is going to be hot and these 62 year old bones and muscles are kind achy today.  It became easy to relate to this verse.  The dedicated cyclist would not hesitate, he would push through the aches and hop on the bike. 

How are we towards God and His commands; or perhaps in having morning or evening devotions.  Do we hesitate because we just don't feel like reading or praying?  Do we come up with any number of excuses?  The devoted, dedicated Christ follower will push through and put aside the other directions and focus on God and praise Him for His Word and His steadfast love for us, even on those times when we do hesitate.

May God be our portion today (verse 57), may we forget our own ways, our tendencies to hesitate and focus; "turn our feet" to what the Lord has to teach us today.

Other translations use the word "hasten" giving the thought of responding quickly, not giving the thoughts "not to" a chance to come in our minds and take hold. We've all found out that "not to decide" something is to "decide not to".

I am resolved no longer to linger,
charmed by the world's delight;
things that are higher, things that are nobler,
these have allured my sight.

Refrain:
I will hasten to Him,
hasten so glad and free;
Jesus, greatest, highest,
I will come to Thee.


--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Psalm 119:57-64 New King James Version (NKJV)

ח HETH

57 You are my portion, O Lord;
I have said that I would keep Your words.
58 I entreated Your favor with my whole heart;
Be merciful to me according to Your word.
59 I thought about my ways,
And turned my feet to Your testimonies.
60 I made haste, and did not delay
To keep Your commandments.
61 The cords of the wicked have bound me,
But I have not forgotten Your law.
62 At midnight I will rise to give thanks to You,
Because of Your righteous judgments.
63 I am a companion of all who fear You,
And of those who keep Your precepts.
64 The earth, O Lord, is full of Your mercy;
Teach me Your statutes.

No comments: