Thursday, February 25, 2021

Verse of the Day 2/25

Verse of the Day 2/25

Philippians 1:11  Jesus Christ will keep you busy doing good deeds that bring glory and praise to God.   Contemporary English Version (CEV)

We've been considering Jesus call for us to be "salt and light" and the pressure that we may feel in trying to live up to that.  Yesterday we looked at how this is accomplished by grace through faith.  Today's verse from Philippians 1 gives us an example of how this is accomplished in our lives.  As we feel the promptings of the Holy Spirit, the "Spirit's call" and respond in faith, the Lord will "keep us busy" doing things that will please Him and bring Him the glory.

The English Standard Version (below) and other translations refer to it as being "filled with the righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ".  John MacArthur notes that it is better translated "the fruit that righteousness produces".  To be righteous is to be in right standing with God.  Hearing His call and responding to that call in faith is just that, the fruit of that action.

John MacArthur writes, "Having been filled" speaks of something that happened in the past with continuing results. At your salvation the seed of righteousness was planted within you. It bears righteous fruit throughout your lifetime. On the day of Christ that fruit will confirm your salvation"

Following those promptings will produce fruit, "light" in our lives as we press on, day by day.

I'm pressing on the upward way  New heights I'm gaining every day  Still praying as I'm onward bound  Lord, plant my feet on higher ground     Lord, lift me up and let me stand  By faith, on Heaven's tableland  A higher plane than I have found  Lord, plant my feet on higher ground     My heart has no desire to stay  Where doubts arise and fears dismay  Though some may dwell where those abound  My prayer, my aim, is higher ground
--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Philippians 1:8-11 English Standard Version (ESV)

For God is my witness, how I yearn for you all with the affection of Christ Jesus. And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, 10 so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, 11 filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.

No comments: