Friday, December 10, 2021

Verse of the Day 12/10

Verse of the Day 12/10

Jude 3
English Standard Version


Beloved, although I was very eager to write to you about our common salvation, I found it necessary to write appealing to you to contend for the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints.

Today's verse came up in the read through the New Testament plan that I follow.  Jude was the half brother of Jesus, born of Mary and Joseph.  He became a believer after Jesus death and resurrection and, along with his brother James, became a defender of the faith.  In today's verse he calls upon his readers to "contend for the faith".

As we approach the Christmas season, in today's society there are all kinds of "traditions" that are shared and celebrated from Santa and his reindeer to the Grinch and Christmas trees.  One of the things that we can and should "contend for" is that the story of Jesus as recorded in the gospels is true, it is history, His story, and not a fairy tale.  Not only that but He is the greatest gift ever given to those who will receive Him.

We are preparing to celebrate the birth of Jesus, acknowledging that He came to earth, He "moved into the neighborhood" (John 1:14 The Message).  But it only begins there.  The Apostle Paul point out in his letter to the Corinthians some other things that we should contend for along with His birth.

1 Corinthians 15:3-6
English Standard Version

For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. Then he appeared to more than five hundred brothers at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have fallen asleep.

Part of contending for the faith is to proclaim these things and let the world know that He lives and He is the hope of all who seek Him!

I serve a risen Saviour, He's in the world today  I know that He is living, whatever men may say  I see His hand of mercy, I hear His voice of cheer  And just the time I need Him He's always near    He lives (He lives), He lives (He lives), Christ Jesus lives today  He walks with me and talks with me  Along life's narrow way  He lives (He lives), He lives (He lives), Salvation to impart  You ask me how I know He lives?  He lives within my heart    In all the world around me I see His loving care  And though my heart grows weary I never will despair  I know that He is leading, through all the stormy blast  The day of His appearing will come at last    Rejoice, rejoice, O Christian Lift up your voice and sing  Eternal hallelujahs to Jesus Christ, the King  The Hope of all who seek Him, the Help of all who find  None other is so loving, so good and kind    He lives (He lives), He lives (He lives), Christ Jesus lives today  He walks with me and talks with me  Along life's narrow way  He lives (He lives), He lives (He lives), Salvation to impart  You ask me how I know He lives?  He lives within my heart


Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

Jude
English Standard Version

Greeting

Jude, a servant[a] of Jesus Christ and brother of James,

To those who are called, beloved in God the Father and kept for[b] Jesus Christ:

May mercy, peace, and love be multiplied to you.

Judgment on False Teachers

Beloved, although I was very eager to write to you about our common salvation, I found it necessary to write appealing to you to contend for the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints. For certain people have crept in unnoticed who long ago were designated for this condemnation, ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into sensuality and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.


No comments: