Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Verse of the Day 12/28

Verse of the Day 12/28

John 14:27New King James Version



27 Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
One of the themes of Christmas is Jesus bringing peace on earth.  Many of the Christmas carols mention this in song.  Jesus came as Immanuel, God is with us and He brought, and still brings peace to those who receive Him.  After His resurrection and ascension into heaven

Peace is one of the key themes of the Christmas season, it is something that Jesus came to give us.  Not just for a day or season but through all of our lives and on to eternity.  In Isaiah the Messiah was referred to as the "Prince of Peace".  Jesus was Immanuel, God is with us and He brought peace to us.  Thankfully, He did not take that peace with Him after His resurrection and ascension.   John chapter 14 should encourage each of us that in troubled times we can still find, still have peace in Jesus and if we go back to verse 2 He tells us that He is preparing a place for us, our eternal home where we will experience eternal peace with Him as we live with Him there.

The world scoffs at the notion that we can experience His peace now and forever.  But Jesus words ring clear as a bell to those who truly believe.   One Christmas hymn that captures this is "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day".

  1. I heard the bells on Christmas day
    Their old familiar carols play;
    In music sweet the tones repeat,
    "There's peace on earth, good will to men."
  2. I thought how, as the day had come,
    The belfries of all Christendom
    Had rolled along th' unbroken song
    Of peace on earth, good will to men.
  3. And in despair I bowed my head:
    "There is no peace on earth," I said,
    "For hate is strong, and mocks the song
    Of peace on earth, good will to men."
  4. Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
    "God is not dead, nor does He sleep,
    For Christ is here; His Spirit near
    Brings peace on earth, good will to men."
  5. When men repent and turn from sin
    The Prince of Peace then enters in,
    And grace imparts within their hearts
    His peace on earth, good will to men.
  6. O souls amid earth's busy strife,
    The Word of God is light and life;
    Oh, hear His voice, make Him your choice,
    Hail peace on earth, good will to men.

As we head towards the New Year we realize that their will be busyness and strife, but may we "hear His voice, make Him our choice" for peace on earth good will to men.


Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

John 14:25-29
New King James Version

The Gift of His Peace

25 "These things I have spoken to you while being present with you. 26 But the [a]Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you. 27 Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. 28 You have heard Me say to you, 'I am going away and coming back to you.' If you loved Me, you would rejoice because [b]

I said, 'I am going to the Father,' for My Father is greater than I.

29 "And now I have told you before it comes, that when it does come to pass, you may believe.


No comments: