Friday, April 8, 2022

Verse of the Day 4/8

Verse of the Day 4/8

Isaiah 6:5
New International Version



"Woe to me!" I cried. "I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty."

We've been considering how James challenged us to "humble" ourselves before God and to examine the words that come out of our mouths.  David conveyed the same thing when describing the righteous person as one who "utters no slander, speaks the truth, and does no wrong to a neighbor."  The humbled person will realize also that what they've been given is "better than I deserve."

In today's passage from Isaiah 6 we find the vision of the prophet Isaiah as he sees the glory of God on display, filling the temple and the whole earth with His glory.  It was a humbling experience for him and made him realize how unworthy we all are before a holy God.  But this realization was the building block to turn to the Lord in true faith.  By the end of the passage the angels "touched his mouth" and would send him off to testify to the glory of God.  Isaiah's response was now "here I am, send me", replacing self doubt with what John MacArthur calls "humble readiness and complete trust".

A.W. Tozer writes, "Nobody ever got anything from God on the grounds that he deserved it. Having fallen, man deserves only punishment and death. So if God answers prayer it's because God is good. From His goodness, His lovingkindness, His good-natured benevolence, God does it! That's the source of everything. The Attributes of God, pp. 46-47" Thank You, God, that You are indeed good, You are faithful, You are gracious, You are full of lovingkindness and benevolence. Thank You that You do in fact answer prayer! Amen." 
  
Read the passage below from Isaiah 6.  Consider that it was written after King Uzziah had died.  He had reigned 52 years and the nation had prospered, and mourned his loss;  but God revealed that He was the One to look to, the One worthy of all praise and glory.


Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

Isaiah 6
New International Version

Isaiah's Commission

In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord, high and exalted, seated on a throne; and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him were seraphim, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying. And they were calling to one another:

"Holy, holy, holy is the Lord Almighty;
    the whole earth is full of his glory."

At the sound of their voices the doorposts and thresholds shook and the temple was filled with smoke.

"Woe to me!" I cried. "I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty."

Then one of the seraphim flew to me with a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with tongs from the altar. With it he touched my mouth and said, "See, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away and your sin atoned for."

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"

And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"


No comments: