Friday, August 12, 2022

Verse of the Day 8/12

Verse of the Day 8/12

Romans 8:1-2
New King James Version


There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.


We've recently considered how "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23) and that "the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Romans 6:23).  Today's verses begin with "there is therefore".  When we read that we often go back to the previous few verses, however, in this case we can go back to the entirety of the letter to this point, Paul's teaching in chapters 1 to 7.  Jesus has offered forgiveness and paid the price for our sins, there is no condemnation.  Satan cannot hold if over us.

Knowing who we are, what we have done we may ask "how could God possibly love me so much?".  His love is even greater than that, Jesus blood, shed on the cross has atoned for our past sins, our present sins and tomorrow's sins.  There is no condemnation if you are "in Jesus Christ".  Your sins have been blotted out.  Don't let Satan keep hanging them over your head.

What a wondrous message in God's Word!
My sins are blotted out, I know!
If I trust in His redeeming blood,
My sins are blotted out, I know!

My sins are blotted out, I know!
My sins are blotted out, I know!
They are buried in the depths of the deepest sea:
My sins are blotted out, I know!

Once my heart was black, but now what joy,
My sins are blotted out, I know!
I have peace that nothing can destroy,
My sins are blotted out, I know!            (Merrill Dunlop)

Think of what it means to you to be "in Jesus Christ".

Because of our new identity in Christ, we are free from condemnation. (Romans 8:1)
Because of our new identity in Christ, our worth comes from our position in Christ, not our performance. (Matthew 11:28)
Because of our new identity in Christ, we live to express who we are in Christ, not to prove who we are.
Because of our new identity in Christ, we can focus on building others up, not tearing them down.



Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

Romans 8-11
New King James Version

Free from Indwelling Sin

There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who[a] do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. For to be [b]carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the [c]carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His. 10 And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. 11 But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies [d]




through His Spirit who dwells in you.


No comments: