Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Verse of the Day 8/2

Verse of the Day 8/2

Acts 9:15
English Standard Version



15 But the Lord said to him, "Go, for he is a chosen instrument of mine to carry my name before the Gentiles and kings and the children of Israel.

In Acts chapter 9 we have the account of Saul's conversion.  He had been trained as a pharisee under Gamaliel and as the chapter opens, Saul was "breathing threats and murder" against the disciples of the Lord. But God had something else in mind for him.

I heard a message this past weekend from Pastor James Wilkes on this passage.  He pointed out that Saul saw himself for who he was.  God saw him for who he was to be. This same man would become who we know as the Apostle Paul, who ended up writing a significant portion of the New Testament.  This same man who was a persecutor of the church and Jesus' followers would become the greatest voice bringing the gospel message to vast portions of the world under Roman control and eventually, all over the world today.  Wilkes said, "Saul had influence; Paul had impact".  His writings, inspired by God, still carry impact today.

We may know some people in our lives who we'd consider to be the "least likely" candidate to be a Christian.  That's how we see them.  But how does God see them?  We should never assume that God couldn't reach them and do great things through them, instead, we should pray for them and be ready to be used as God's instrument in bringing about a change of course in someone's life.

After hearing the sermon on this passage, I heard the Third Day song "I've Always Loved You" on the radio.  It reminded me of this passage.  God loved Saul, who would become Paul (see Acts 13); He proved His love to him and encouraged him that He always will.

Well, I don't know how to explain it
But I know that words will hardly do
Miracles with signs and wonders
Aren't enough for me to prove to you

Don't you know I've always loved you
Even before there was time
Though you turn away, I'll tell you still
Don't you know I've always loved you, and I always will

Greater love has not a man
Than the one who gives his life to prove
That he would do anything
And that's what I'm going to do for you

Don't you know I've always loved you
Even before there was time
Though you turn away, I'll tell you still
Don't you know I've always loved you, and I always will



Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

Acts 9:10-19
English Standard Version

10 Now there was a disciple at Damascus named Ananias. The Lord said to him in a vision, "Ananias." And he said, "Here I am, Lord." 11 And the Lord said to him, "Rise and go to the street called Straight, and at the house of Judas look for a man of Tarsus named Saul, for behold, he is praying, 12 and he has seen in a vision a man named Ananias come in and lay his hands on him so that he might regain his sight." 13 But Ananias answered, "Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how much evil he has done to your saints at Jerusalem. 14 And here he has authority from the chief priests to bind all who call on your name." 15 But the Lord said to him, "Go, for he is a chosen instrument of mine to carry my name before the Gentiles and kings and the children of Israel. 16 For I will show him how much he must suffer for the sake of my name." 17 So Ananias departed and entered the house. And laying his hands on him he said, "Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus who appeared to you on the road by which you came has sent me so that you may regain your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit." 18 And immediately something like scales fell from his eyes, and he regained his sight. Then he rose and was baptized; 19 and taking food, he was strengthened.

Saul Proclaims Jesus in Synagogues

For some days he was with the disciples at Damascus.


No comments: