Monday, July 31, 2023

Verse of the Day 7/31

Verse of the Day 7/31


Exodus 20:3-4
English Standard Version




"You shall have no other gods before[a]


 me.

"You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.



Today's verses came up in my daily Old Testament reading this morning.  Any time I read the ten commandments it causes me to pause, consider and reflect.  First four commandments have to do with our relationship to God and the last six have to do with our relationships to other human beings.  Both are extremely important for us to have in our hearts and our minds.  To be mindful of our place and our resposibilities before God and others.

We all know that God has said "You shall have no other gods before me" but the application of this is another matter.  It is an all encompassing statement and we should take it as having no other God before, after or alongside God; the maker of heaven and earth.

What these verses point to is a full surrender to God.  The old hymn I Surrender All comes to mind.

  1. All to Jesus I surrender,
    All to Him I freely give;
    I will ever love and trust Him,
    In His presence daily live.
    • Refrain:
      I surrender all,
      I surrender all;
      All to Thee, my blessed Savior,
      I surrender all.
  2. All to Jesus I surrender,
    Humbly at His feet I bow;
    Worldly pleasures all forsaken,
    Take me, Jesus, take me now.
  3. All to Jesus I surrender,
    Make me, Savior, wholly Thine;
    Let me feel the Holy Spirit,
    Truly know that Thou art mine.
  4. All to Jesus I surrender,
    Lord, I give myself to Thee;
    Fill me with Thy love and power,
    Let Thy blessing fall on me.
  5. All to Jesus I surrender,
    Now I feel the sacred flame;
    Oh, the joy of full salvation!
    Glory, glory, to His Name!






Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

Exodus 20:1-4
English Standard Version

The Ten Commandments

20 And God spoke all these words, saying,

"I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery.

"You shall have no other gods before me.

"You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.


No comments: