Monday, January 12, 2009

Verse of the Day 1/13

Through the Bible - Genesis 32 -33, Matthew 11:16-30
 
Good morning,
The other day my wife Jean and I watched Prince Caspian which is based upon C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia.  I was intrigued by a line spoken by a young girl in the story, Lucy, which she spoke to Aslan (who represents God) : she exclaimed, "You're bigger!"  Aslan responds, "That is because you are older, little one."  Lucy asks, "Oh, it's not because you are bigger?"  Aslan answers, "No I am not.  But every year you grow, you will find me bigger." 
 
Have you faced times of anxiety before anticipated events (as Jacob in today's passage), or possibly during or immediately after such events, when you prayed like never before, and you came away a changed person?
 
In today's Old Testament reading Jacob's past is literally catching up to him in the form of his brother Esau.
Jacob prays like he never has before, "wrestling" all night, not even aware that it was God.
 
Gen 32:26 And He said, "Let Me go, for the day breaks."
But he said,"I will not let You go unless You bless me!"
27 So He said to him, "What is your name?"
He said, "Jacob."
28 And He said,"Your name shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel; for you have struggled with God and with men, and have prevailed."    NKJV

Previously Jacob had used every trick in the book to get his way.  Now, he finds out that this angel that he had been wrestling with was none other than God Himself.  Notice what happens in the end, he receives another blessing, this time from God.
 
Gen 32:29 Then Jacob asked, saying, "Tell me Your name, I pray."
And He said,"Why is it that you ask about My name?" And He blessed him there.
 
Jacob had been changed.  He was injured in the hip and from then on would walk with a limp, reminding him of the event and his own weakness.  He was also given a new name, Israel, which means "God's fighter" or "struggles with God."
 
Barnes commentary states,"From this time Jacob became a new man, but it was not till after a severe struggle that he got his name, his heart, and his character changed. After this he was no more Jacob the supplanter, but Israel-the man who prevails with God, and sees him face to face."
Notice also what happens after that.  His prayer is answered, the meeting with Esau is not a battle, but a reconciliation.  Keep reading.
 
Gen 33:10 And Jacob said (to Esau) , "No, please, if I have now found favor in your sight, then receive my present from my hand, inasmuch as I have seen your face as though I had seen the face of God, and you were pleased with me. 11 Please, take my blessing that is brought to you, because God has dealt graciously with me, and because I have enough." So he urged him, and he took it.     NKJV

Now go back to the promise to Abraham in Genesis 12.
Gen 12:2 I will make you a great nation;
I will bless you
And make your name great;
And you shall be a blessing.   
NKJV

As all of the God followers we've looked at today grew, bigger, older,wiser,  they saw God, like Lucy saw Aslan, bigger.
 
Looking back in your life, how has your view of God changed?  Has He grown bigger in your eyes?  He doesn't grow, doesn't change.  But as we get to know Him more He will continue to grow in our hearts and lives.
 
My hope is that He has and He will in yours.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Gen 32:22-33:1
Wrestling with God
22 And he arose that night and took his two wives, his two female servants, and his eleven sons, and crossed over the ford of Jabbok. 23 He took them, sent them over the brook, and sent over what he had. 24 Then Jacob was left alone; and a Man wrestled with him until the breaking of day. 25 Now when He saw that He did not prevail against him, He touched the socket of his hip; and the socket of Jacob's hip was out of joint as He wrestled with him. 26 And He said, "Let Me go, for the day breaks."
But he said,"I will not let You go unless You bless me!"
27 So He said to him, "What is your name?"
He said, "Jacob."
28 And He said,"Your name shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel; for you have struggled with God and with men, and have prevailed."
29 Then Jacob asked, saying, "Tell me Your name, I pray."
And He said,"Why is it that you ask about My name?" And He blessed him there.
30 So Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: "For I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved." 31 Just as he crossed over Penuel the sun rose on him, and he limped on his hip. 32 Therefore to this day the children of Israel do not eat the muscle that shrank, which is on the hip socket, because He touched the socket of Jacob's hip in the muscle that shrank.

NKJV

No comments: