Thursday, January 22, 2009

Verse of the Day 1/22

Through the Bible - Exodus 2-4, Matthew 16:5-28
 
Good morning,
Yesterday we considered The Rolling Stones song "Satisfaction" which stated "I can't get no satisfaction, I tried and I tried, and I tried.....
 
When I was young, Chicago was one of my favorite rock bands.  Yesterday's topic and the thought of searching and treasure reminded me of the Chicago "Searchin So Long", here are a few of the stanzas
 

As my life goes on I believe
Somehow something's changed
Something deep inside
Ooh a part of me


There's a strange new light in my eyes
Things I've never known
Changin' my life
Changin' me

I've been searchin'
So long
To find an answer
Now I know my life has meaning
Ow oh

I don't think the song was writen about finding God, finding Jesus Christ, but when we do find it we realize "now my life has meaning".

 

Today's verse comes from Matthew 16 which is today's "Through the Bible" New Testament reading.  We won't deal with all of the intricacies and meaning of Jesus' entire response to Peter here, but consider Peter's statement and the first part of Jesus' response.  Jesus asks the ultimate question, Peter shows that he has received the answer.

 

Matt 16:15 He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?"

16 Simon Peter answered and said,"You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."

17 Jesus answered and said to him, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.   NKJV
 

Bob Dylan another song writer from the sixties wrote, "The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind,
The answer is blowin' in the wind."

 

As we see here, the answer isn't found blowing in the wind, Simon Peter found it, or as mentioned yesterday, it found him.  The answer is found in the person of Jesus Christ.  Verse 17 shows how it is revealed to us.  All of the searching in the world, in our own wisdom and strength will find it.  It is not stumbled upon and found by accident.  It is revealed by God.

 

1 Cor 2:14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.    NKJV

A current Christian song writer, Michael W. Smith, knows something about this, he wrote "Open the Eyes of My Heart".

 

Open the eyes of my heart, Lord
Open the eyes of my heart
I want to see You
I want to see You

To see You high and lifted up
Shinin' in the light of Your glory
Pour out Your power and love
As we sing holy, holy, holy

Singin "Holy, Holy, Holy is a far cry from "I tried, I tried, and I tried.

 

Have you been searching, have you found the answer?

 

In Christ,

Mike

 

Matt 16:13-19

Peter Confesses Jesus as the Christ
(Mark 8:27-30; Luke 9:18-20)

13 When Jesus came into the region of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples, saying, "Who do men say that I, the Son of Man, am?"

14 So they said,"Some say John the Baptist, some Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets."

15 He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?"

16 Simon Peter answered and said,"You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."

17 Jesus answered and said to him, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.  18 And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.  19 And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."
NKJV

No comments: