Friday, January 16, 2009

Verse of the Day 1/16

Through the Bible - Genesis 38-40, Matthew 14:1-33
 
Good morning,
The other day a new aquaintance asked me where I "came up with" the verses that I chose for the verse of the day devotionals.  Most often they've come from reading/studying that I've been doing, devotionals that I have read, and quite often from songs that I have heard on the radio, CD's, or that just popped into my head for whatever reason.
 
Yesterday (as I write this) I heard a song on the radio "Mighty to Save" and thought that it would be good to use as part of a devotional.  That night I clicked on a link on my homepage to a devotional from Alistair Begg's Truth for Life, the title for the day was "Mighty to Save".  I opened up Biblesoft on my computer where I go to get the Bible verses themselves.  It opens to Charles Spurgeon's "Morning and Evening" devotionals.  It was evening, so the evening devotional was posted.  Here is part of it.
 
"Sinking times are praying times with the Lord's servants. Peter neglected prayer at starting upon his venturous journey, but when he began to sink his danger made him a suppliant, and his cry though late was not too late. In our hours of bodily pain and mental anguish, we find ourselves as naturally driven to prayer as the wreck is driven upon the shore by the waves. The fox hurries to its hole for protection; the bird flies to the wood for shelter; and even so the tried believer hastens to the mercy seat for safety. Heaven's great harbour of refuge is All-prayer; thousands of weather-beaten vessels have found a haven there, and the moment a storm comes on, it is wise for us to make for it with all sail."
 
The verse that Spurgeon referenced was Matthew 14:30 which is in today's reading plan.  Sometimes the verses come from all of the above.

Matt 14:30 But when he saw that the wind was boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink he cried out, saying, "Lord, save me!"   NKJV
 
In these difficult financial times we can have a sinking, drowning feeling.  Sometimes it seams that it takes all that we have to keep treading water, to keep our head up.  We should realize that we need help, that we can't do it ourselves.  We need to reach out to Jesus (the song reach out to Jesus comes to mind), and call out to Him.  As we read yesterday, He will not snuff out the wick, He can rekindle it, He can lift us out of the waters that surround us.
 
We need not think that our prayers need to be lengthy or eloquent, especially in these circumstances.  They may just be a cry from the heart, Lord save Me!
Mighty to Save
 
Everyone needs compassion,
Love that's never failing;
Let mercy fall on me.

Everyone needs forgiveness,
The kindness of a Saviour;
The Hope of nations.

Saviour, He can move the mountains,
My God is Mighty to save,
He is Mighty to save.

Forever, Author of salvation,
He rose and conquered the grave,
Jesus conquered the grave.

So take me as You find me,
All my fears and failures,
Fill my life again.

I give my life to follow
Everything I believe in,
Now I surrender.

My Saviour, He can move the mountains,
My God is Mighty to save,
He is Mighty to save.
Forever, Author of salvation,
He rose and conquered the grave,
Jesus conquered the grave.

Shine your light and let the whole world see,
We're singing for the glory of the risen King...Jesus
 
Do you need love, mercy, and compassion in your life today?  Cry out to Him.  Do you see someone who needs it?  Reach out to them, turn them towards Jesus.
 
In Christ,
Mike
Matt 14:22-34
Jesus Walks on the Sea(Mark 6:45-52; John 6:15-21)
22 Immediately Jesus made His disciples get into the boat and go before Him to the other side, while He sent the multitudes away. 23 And when He had sent the multitudes away, He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray. Now when evening came, He was alone there. 24 But the boat was now in the middle of the sea, tossed by the waves, for the wind was contrary.
25 Now in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went to them, walking on the sea. 26 And when the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, "It is a ghost!" And they cried out for fear.
27 But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying,  "Be of good cheer! It is I; do not be afraid."
28 And Peter answered Him and said, "Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water."
29 So He said, "Come." And when Peter had come down out of the boat, he walked on the water to go to Jesus. 30 But when he saw that the wind was boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink he cried out, saying, "Lord, save me!"
31 And immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and caught him, and said to him, "O you of little faith, why did you doubt?"  32 And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased.
33 Then those who were in the boat came and worshiped Him, saying, "Truly You are the Son of God."

NKJV

No comments: