Saturday, January 31, 2009

Verse of the Day - weekend 1/31

Through the Bible - Exodus 26-28, Matthew 21
 
Good morning,
With all the doom and gloom in the marketplace, layoffs and slumping sales, sometimes by the end of the week you feel like you've been knocked down if not given the knockout punch.   Where do we turn?
For this weekend's verse we'll turn to the Psalms.  Psalm 119:37 gives us an idea, ask God to "revive me" in the way, His way.
 
Ps 119:36 Incline my heart to Your testimonies,
And not to covetousness.
37 Turn away my eyes from looking at worthless things,
And revive me in Your way.     NKJV

or from the NLT
Ps 119:36 Give me an eagerness for your laws
rather than a love for money!
37 Turn my eyes from worthless things,
and give me life through your word.

For too long, especially in times of relative prosperity, our eyes tend to turn and focus on "worthless things", things with no redeeming value.  Greed takes over, with the insatiable desire for more.  This then carries over to other areas of our lives.  We don't want to "deprive" ourselves of anything, feeling that we are entitled to anything we want, including things like drugs, alcohol, and more, "the pride of life".
 
1 John 2: 16 For the world offers only a craving for physical pleasure, a craving for everything we see, and pride in our achievements and possessions. These are not from the Father, but are from this world.   NLT
True life, true comes from following Jesus, His "way".  Seek Him, return to Him ask Him to "give me life through your word."
In the margin of my Bible I had written "Draw Me Nearer" next to these verses.  The song is also known as "I am Thine O Lord".  Read the lyrics below, or sing them in your heart and mind in worship and praise this weekend.
 
I am thine, O Lord, I have heard thy voice,
and it told thy love to me;
but I long to rise in the arms of faith
and be closer drawn to thee.

Refrain
Draw me nearer, nearer, blessed Lord,
to the cross where thou hast died.
Draw me nearer, nearer, nearer, blessed Lord,
to thy precious, bleeding side.
   - Fannie Crosby

In Christ,
Mike
 
Ps 119:33-41
33 Teach me your decrees, O Lord;
I will keep them to the end.
34 Give me understanding and I will obey your instructions;
I will put them into practice with all my heart.
35 Make me walk along the path of your commands,
for that is where my happiness is found.
36 Give me an eagerness for your laws
rather than a love for money!
37 Turn my eyes from worthless things,
and give me life through your word.

38 Reassure me of your promise,
made to those who fear you.
39 Help me abandon my shameful ways;
for your regulations are good.
40 I long to obey your commandments!
Renew my life with your goodness.
NLT

No comments: