Thursday, May 14, 2009

Verse of the Day 5/14

Through the Bible - 2 Kings 12-14, John 6:1-21
 
Good morning,
As I've mentioned before, for the last several years I've been reading through different translations of the Bible, this year it has been the New Living Translation.  I've enjoyed it as some of the different words used help bring a different perspective on verses and passages.  I would also suggest caution.  Occasionally "words" are left out or changed that can have significant meaning.
 
This morning I read Psalm 51, David's prayer after his sin with Bathsheba. For today's verse we'll go to verse 7.  I'll start with the NLT
 
Ps 51:7 Purify me from my sins, and I will be clean;
wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.

It is a powerful verse pointing to the need of cleansing from sin and the power of forgiveness in the Saviour.  But let me now show the same verse from the NKJV.
 
Ps 51:7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.    NKJV

It may not seem like a big difference.  But did you condsider the word "hyssop"?  Where else do we find it?
 
Hyssop was used in the Passover, for the Jews to apply the blood of the lamb to the doorposts of their homes, that the Angel of the Lord would pass over their homes.  (Ex. 13:22).  It was also used in John 19:29- Now a vessel full of sour wine was sitting there; and they filled a sponge with sour wine, put it on hyssop, and put it to His mouth. 30 So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, "It is finished!" And bowing His head, He gave up His spirit.     NKJV

For me at least, the word "hyssop" brings images of both of these instances to the reading of Psalm 51.  Consider the Passover, consider what Christ accomplished on the cross after He said "it is finished".  Read Psalm 51 with these images in mind.
 
When we go to God seeking forgiveness, we need to come to Him as we are with our "masks" off.  I'll close with the following by Paul Miller:
"The only way to come to God is by taking off any spiritual mask. The real you has to meet the real God. He is a person.
Your heart could be, and often is, askew. That's okay. You have to begin with what is real. Jesus didn't come for the righteous. He came for sinners. All of us qualify. The very things we try to get rid of—our weariness, our distractedness, our messiness—are what get us in the front door! That's how the gospel works. That's how prayer works.
In bringing your real self to Jesus, you give him the opportunity to work on the real you, and you will slowly change. The kingdom comes when Jesus becomes king of your life. But is has to be your life. You can't create a kingdom that doesn't exist, where you try to be better than you really are. Jesus calls that hypocrisy—putting on a mask to cover the real you.
So instead of being paralyzed by who you are, begin with who you are. That's how the gospel works. God begins with you."
David approached God with his "mask off" with the vision of cleansing and forgiveness on his mind.  Will you do the same the next time you seek forgiveness?
In Christ,
Mike
Ps 51:1-14
51 Have mercy upon me, O God,According to Your lovingkindness;According to the multitude of Your tender mercies,Blot out my transgressions. 2 Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,And cleanse me from my sin.
3 For I acknowledge my transgressions,And my sin is always before me. 4 Against You, You only, have I sinned,And done this evil in Your sight — That You may be found just when You speak, And blameless when You judge.
5 Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity,And in sin my mother conceived me. 6 Behold, You desire truth in the inward parts,And in the hidden part You will make me to know wisdom.
7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. 8 Make me hear joy and gladness,That the bones You have broken may rejoice. 9 Hide Your face from my sins,And blot out all my iniquities.
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God,And renew a steadfast spirit within me. 11 Do not cast me away from Your presence,And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.
12 Restore to me the joy of Your salvation,And uphold me by Your generous Spirit. 13 Then I will teach transgressors Your ways,And sinners shall be converted to You.
1

No comments: