Sunday, May 10, 2009

Verse of the Day weekend - 5/10

Through the Bible 1 Kings 21 - 2 Kings 4, John 3:22-4:42
 
Good morning,
In response to Friday's devotional from 1 Kings a friend wrote, " you strike a nerve with me this morning when you write, "His gentle whisper that calls in the wake of the storm."  It's an incredible moment when God meets us when the wind blow and the rains come, but He's there, nonetheless."  He also sent some of the words from the Mercy Me song "Bring the Rain".

I can count a million times
People asking me how I
Can praise You with all that
I've gone through
The question just amazes me
Can circumstances possibly
Change who I forever am in You
 
Maybe since my life was changed
Long before these rainy days
It's never really ever crossed my mind
To turn my back on you, oh Lord
My only shelter from the storm
But instead I draw closer through these times
So I pray
 
Bring me joy, bring me peace
Bring the chance to be free
Bring me anything that brings
You glory And I know there'll
be days When this life brings me pain
But if that's what it takes to
praise You Jesus, bring the rain
 
I am yours regardless of the clouds that may
loom above because you are much greater than
my pain you who made a way for me suffering
your destiny so tell me whats a little rain ...

For today's verse we'll go to Hebrews chapter 11 where we've gone many times before, to the "Hall of Faith".  The importance of faith in the life or a Christian is brought out in this chapter as the word "faith" is mentioned 24 times in the NKJV.  Today's verse brings out something that is a result of this, assurance in the promises of God.
 
Heb 11:13 These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off were assured of them, embraced them and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth. 14 For those who say such things declare plainly that they seek a homeland.  NKJV
A couple of hymns came to mind as I read and thought about the lyrics above and the verse from Hebrews.  Blessed Assurance, and Blessed Quietness.
 
Here are some of the words to the hymn "Blessed Quietness"
 
  1. Joys are flowing like a river,
    Since the Comforter has come;
    He abides with us forever,
    Makes the trusting heart His home.
    • Refrain:
      Blessed quietness, holy quietness,
      Blest assurance in my soul!
      On the stormy sea, *Jesus speaks to me, [*He speaks peace to me,]
      And the billows cease to roll.
  2. Like the rain that falls from heaven,
    Like the sunlight from the sky,
    So the Holy Spirit given,
    Falls upon us from on high.
  3. What a wonderful salvation,
    Where we always see His face!
    What a peaceful habitation!
    What a quiet resting-place!
As we celebrate Mother's Day, let us be thankful for our mom's and how often in our lives they have displayed these qualities and brought assurance to our faith and to our lives.  I'll close with a few verses from Proverbs chapter 31 about such a wife and mother.
 
Prov 31:28-29  Her children respect and bless her;
her husband joins in with words of praise:
"Many women have done wonderful things,
but you've outclassed them all!"    The Message

 
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
 
11 By faith Sarah herself also received strength to conceive seed, and she bore a child when she was past the age, because she judged Him faithful who had promised. 12 Therefore from one man, and him as good as dead, were born as many as the stars of the sky in multitude — innumerable as the sand which is by the seashore.
 
The Heavenly Hope
 
13 These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off were assured of them, embraced them and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth. 14 For those who say such things declare plainly that they seek a homeland. 15 And truly if they had called to mind that country from which they had come out, they would have had opportunity to return. 16 But now they desire a better, that is, a heavenly country. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them.
 

NKJV

No comments: