Thursday, May 28, 2009

Verse of the Day 5/28

Through the Bible - 1 Chronicles 24-26, John 11:45-57
 
Good morning,
I had thought of several verses to use for today's devotional but I feel led to go to John 14 to some verses that have been very precious to me.
 
After Jeff's accident, one of the girls in his youth group gave us a card from which quoted John 14:27 " Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."   NIV  Through the years that verse is one that our family has held on to through the difficult times.
 
"Do not let your hearts be troubled " is also stated to beging the chapter, in a way they form bookends for us in a chapter where some of his disciples ask Jesus some probing questions.  Today's verse comes from the beginning of the chapter.
 
John 14:1-2  "Don't let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me. 2 There is more than enough room in my Father's home. If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you?  NLT

As a child I remember learning and singing a simple chorus:
 
This world is not my home,
I'm just a passin' through,
My treasures are laid up,
Somewhere beyond the blue,
The angels beckon me to heavens open door,
And I can't feel at home in this world any more.
 
Oh Lord You know I have no friend like you,
If heaven's not my home, then Lord what will I do?
The angels beckon me to heavens open door,
And I can't feel at home in this world any more.

I have friends that have recently lost loved ones and others that are in a battle for life.  My prayer for them today would be that even in these situations that God would grant them this peace that passes understanding. " Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you."
 
In the hard times may we remember that God has a place for us, an eternal home, "a big big house with lot's and lot's of room where we can....." (quoting the Newsboys).
 
Friday and over the weekend I'll be helping my son Jason and Kristen move from New York to Washington D.C.  I've asked a friend, Larry Rogers from back in Illinois if he'd be willing to do a couple of devotionals for the next few days.
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
More tools available at: http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
John 14:1-12
 
Jesus, the Way to the Father
 
14 "Don't let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me. 2 There is more than enough room in my Father's home. If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? 3 When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am. 4 And you know the way to where I am going."
 
5 "No, we don't know, Lord," Thomas said. "We have no idea where you are going, so how can we know the way?"
 
6 Jesus told him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me. 7 If you had really known me, you would know who my Father is. From now on, you do know him and have seen him!"
 
8 Philip said, "Lord, show us the Father, and we will be satisfied."
 
9 Jesus replied, "Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and yet you still don't know who I am? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father! So why are you asking me to show him to you? 10 Don't you believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words I speak are not my own, but my Father who lives in me does his work through me. 11 Just believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me. Or at least believe because of the work you have seen me do.
 
12 "I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father.
NLT

No comments: