Thursday, May 21, 2009

Verse of the Day 5/21

Through the Bible - 1 Chronicles 6-7, John 8:38-59
 
Good morning,
For today's verse we'll turn to the Old Testament book of 1 Chronicles which was part of yesterday's "through the Bible" reading.  Tucked away in this hard to read list of names and geneologies, we find a few verses about a man of prayer.
 
1 Chron 4:9 Now Jabez was more honorable than his brothers, and his mother called his name Jabez, saying, "Because I bore him in pain." 10 And Jabez called on the God of Israel saying, "Oh, that You would bless me indeed, and enlarge my territory, that Your hand would be with me, and that You would keep me from evil, that I may not cause pain!" So God granted him what he requested.   NKJV
or from the NLT
1 Chron 4:9 There was a man named Jabez who was more honorable than any of his brothers. His mother named him Jabez because his birth had been so painful. 10 He was the one who prayed to the God of Israel, "Oh, that you would bless me and expand my territory! Please be with me in all that I do, and keep me from all trouble and pain!" And God granted him his request.

Bruce Wilkinson brought these verses to the forefront of many Christian's lives a few years ago in his little book titled "The Prayer of Jabez."  He had prayed this prayer for years and spoke of how prayer had influenced and changed his life.
 
His four main points were 1) that we should seek God's blessing, 2) that we should seek greater "territory", not in possesions but for ministry opportunities, 3) that we should be dependent on God's power not our own to accomplish His purposes in ministry, and 4) that we should flee temptation.  This isn't a magical prayer, but as with any sincere prayer, has the power to change a person's heart.  From looking at himself to looking to God.
 
Consider this prayer today.  How does it relate to the prayer we looked at the other day of making ourselves available and to have our radar screens up?
 
Another important aspect is to deal with, to pray about fleeing temptation.  Wilkinson writes, "When was the last time you asked God to keep you from temptation?  In the same way that God wants you to ask for more blessing, more territory, and more power, He longs to hear you plead for safekeeping from evil."
 
Think and pray about these things today.  Think of other Bible passages and verses that remind you of these verses.  Think of a song or two that come to mind such as "Cry Out to Jesus" or "Make Me a Blessing".
 
Instead of posting the passage from 1 Chronicles, I'll post Psalm 57 which I read this morning in my devotions.  Apply Jabez prayer to David's life as seen in this psalm.  Apply it to yours.
 
May you be "blessed to be a blessing" (see Genesis 12:2).
 
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
More tools available at: http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Ps 57:1-58:1
 
57 Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me!For my soul trusts in You;And in the shadow of Your wings I will make my refuge,Until these calamities have passed by.
2 I will cry out to God Most High,To God who performs all things for me. 3 He shall send from heaven and save me;He reproaches the one who would swallow me up.Selah God shall send forth His mercy and His truth.
4 My soul is among lions;I lie among the sons of menWho are set on fire,Whose teeth are spears and arrows,And their tongue a sharp sword. 5 Be exalted, O God, above the heavens;Let Your glory be above all the earth.
6 They have prepared a net for my steps;My soul is bowed down;They have dug a pit before me;Into the midst of it they themselves have fallen.Selah
7 My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast;I will sing and give praise. 8 Awake, my glory!Awake, lute and harp!I will awaken the dawn.
9 I will praise You, O Lord, among the peoples;I will sing to You among the nations. 10 For Your mercy reaches unto the heavens,And Your truth unto the clouds.
11 Be exalted, O God, above the heavens;Let Your glory be above all the earth.
NKJV

1 comment:

rLn! said...

Setting up a bible study on Jabez, enjoyed your article.