Saturday, June 27, 2009

Verse of the Day 6/27

Through the Bible - Job 13-17, Acts 9:1-31
 
Good morning,
After reading yesterday's devotional about "entering" through the narrow gate to follow the narrow way" a friend wrote and said that it was fitting because his oldest daugher is going to be baptized this weekend.
 
That thought brought back memories of our kids when they were baptized.  The baptism services at EEFC gave each person the opportunity to share their testimony about Christ.  I always enjoyed hearing them even if they were short as many of the childrens testimonies were.
 
There are few moments in life that touch the parents' heart than to see their kids step forward in faith and follow through with baptism.
 
As I considered the verse for today I thought of the "Great Commision" to baptize and make disciples, it involves the church and family to make the committment in "seeing them through", helping them and guiding them along the way.  A living and active faith will be a growing faith.
 
This morning I was reading in Proverbs chapter 3 where we'll go today for a familiar verse.  Ones that would apply for baptism or just about any day in life, life in the way.
Prov 3:5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart;
do not depend on your own understanding.
6 Seek his will in all you do,
and he will show you which path to take.  NLT
or from the NKJV
Prov 3:5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
6 In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct your paths.   
NKJV

It is good advice for a teenager, for anyone who is "young" in their faith, and even for those that are well established.  As we get older it is easier to lean on our own understanding, doing so would lead us astray, take us away from the path that we are to follow.  As in the verse from the other day stated, we are to "keep" asking, keep seeking, and keep knocking, all of the days of our life.
 
Many songs came to mind this morning, one of them was Great is Thy Faithfulness another was "Cry of My Heart".  Read the words, sing them in and from your heart as an act of praise and worship this weekend.
 
Cry of My Heart  - Terry Butler
 
It is the cry of my heart to follow You
It is the cry of my heart to be close to You
It is the cry of my heart to follow
All of the days of my life

Teach me Your holy ways, oh Lord
So I can walk in Your truth
Teach me Your holy ways, oh Lord
And make me wholly devoted to You

Open my eyes so I can see
The wonderful things that You do
Open my heart up more and more
And make me wholly devoted to You
 
If you have the time read the passage in Proverbs 3, or perhaps the whole chapter.
 
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
More tools available at: http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Prov 3:1-13
 
Trusting in the LORD
 
3 1 My child, never forget the things I have taught you.
Store my commands in your heart.
2 If you do this, you will live many years,
and your life will be satisfying.
3 Never let loyalty and kindness leave you!
Tie them around your neck as a reminder.
Write them deep within your heart.
4 Then you will find favor with both God and people,
and you will earn a good reputation.
 
5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart;
do not depend on your own understanding.
6 Seek his will in all you do,
and he will show you which path to take.
 
7 Don't be impressed with your own wisdom.
Instead, fear the Lord and turn away from evil.
8 Then you will have healing for your body
and strength for your bones.
 
9 Honor the Lord with your wealth
and with the best part of everything you produce.
10 Then he will fill your barns with grain,
and your vats will overflow with good wine.
 
11 My child, don't reject the Lord's discipline,
and don't be upset when he corrects you.
12 For the Lord corrects those he loves,
just as a father corrects a child in whom he delights.
 
New Living Translation

No comments: