Sunday, June 14, 2009

Verse of the Day - weekend 6/13

Through the Bible - Ezra 6-10, Acts 1-2:13
 
Good morning,
I've gone to Psalm 119 many times for the "verse of the day" and noted that this longest chapter of the Bible focuses, almost exclusively on the Word of God.
We'll return to that chapter for this weekend's verse.
 
Ps 119:162 I rejoice at Your word
As one who finds great treasure.
163 I hate and abhor lying,
But I love Your law.   
NKJV

Think about those words written a couple thousand years ago about the Word of God.  Can you say that you "rejoice at His Word", do you "love" the law, His Word?
If you love someone you'll want to spend time with them, learn more about them and enjoy their company and companionship.  After all, it's a relationship.  While we don't have a personal relationship in that sense with the Word, it is our channel for a personal relationship with Christ.
 
Read through this short section of the psalm.  Consider, think about the different synonyms referenced here to the Word of God.  They are, "the law - the whole body of Moses writings; commands - clear definite directives issued by God; decrees - "things inscribed" and established in law; judgements - binding judicial decisons that extablish a precedent;  precepts - a poetic synomym for edicts; statute - a serious expression of God's standards for human behavior; Word - a revelation God gave Israel; saying - a poetic form for "Word"; way - a metaphor for the believer's way of life; path - a metaphor for lifestyle.   - Dennis Fisher, Adapted from The Bible Reader's Companion.
 
Reading these synonyms should give us a better perspective on the importance and benefits of spending time in God's Word on a daily basis.  As you do, may you find yourself "rejoicing" in His Word, loving His law. 
 
Jer 15:16 When I discovered your words, I devoured them.
They are my joy and my heart's delight,
for I bear your name,
O Lord God of Heaven's Armies.   NLT

In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Ps 119:161-169
 
161 <START HEBREW>v<END HEBREW> SHIN
 
Princes persecute me without a cause,
But my heart stands in awe of Your word.
162 I rejoice at Your word
As one who finds great treasure.
163 I hate and abhor lying,
But I love Your law.
164 Seven times a day I praise You,
Because of Your righteous judgments.
165 Great peace have those who love Your law,
And nothing causes them to stumble.
166 Lord, I hope for Your salvation,
And I do Your commandments.
167 My soul keeps Your testimonies,
And I love them exceedingly.
168 I keep Your precepts and Your testimonies,
For all my ways are before You.   
NKJV

No comments: