Monday, June 8, 2009

Verse of the Day 6/8

Through the Bible - 2 Chronicles 28-30, John 18
 
Good morning,
Most of us go to the doctor on occasion, many of us only when we are sick and in need of help.  The doctor listens to us, may prescribe medication or therapy to help us, to cure us from what ails us.  Many times we don't follow through as we should and we end up going back to them.  Seldom will the good doctor send the patient away.
 
Some of my friends are doctors and have seen their caring and tender hearts.  Because they care for their patients, I couldn't imagine them turning someone away who needed their help.
 
Who cares for you more than your doctor, if not God.  Today's verse comes from 1 Peter 5.
1 Peter 5:7 Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.  NLT
 
I read the following from "Grace Gems" the other day and thought I'd share it with you.  It was written by John Newton, who wrote "Amazing Grace".  He knew something of physicians including the Great Physician.

I am bound to speak well of my Physician--He treats me with great tenderness, and bids me in due time to expect a perfect cure. I know too much of Him (though I know but little) to doubt either His skill or His promise.

It is true, I have suffered sad relapses since I have been under His care. Yet I confess, that the fault has not been His--but my own! I am a perverse and unruly patient! I have too often neglected His prescriptions, and broken the regimen He appoints me to observe. This perverseness, joined to the exceeding obstinacy of my disorders, would have caused me to be turned out as an incurable long ago--had I been under any other hand but His! Indeed--there is none like Him! When I have brought myself very low--He has still helped me. Blessed be His name--I am yet kept alive only by means of His perfect care.

Though His medicines are all beneficial--they are not all pleasant. Now and then He gives me a pleasant cordial; but I have many severe disorders, in which there is a needs-be for my frequently taking His bitter and unpalatable medicines!

We sometimes see published in the newspapers, acknowledgments of cures received. Methinks, if I were to publish my own case, that it would run something like this:

"I, John Newton, have long labored under a multitude of grievous disorders:
    a fever of ungoverned passions,
    a cancer of pride,
    a frenzy of wild imaginations,
    a severe lethargy, and
    a deadly stroke!

In this deplorable situation, I suffered many things from many physicians, spent every penny I had--yet only grew worse and worse!

In this condition, Jesus, the Physician of souls, found me when I sought Him not. He undertook my recovery freely, without money and without price--these are His terms with all His patients! My fever is now abated, my senses are restored, my faculties are enlivened! In a word, I am a new man! And from His ability, His promise, and the experience of what He has already done--I have the fullest assurance that He will infallibly and perfectly heal me--and that I shall live forever as a monument of His power and grace!"

In praise to God, why not sing one of the versions of Amazing Grace.

In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
More tools available at: http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
1 Peter 5:1-12
 
Shepherd the Flock
 
5 The elders who are among you I exhort, I who am a fellow elder and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that will be revealed: 2 Shepherd the flock of God which is among you, serving as overseers, not by compulsion but willingly, not for dishonest gain but eagerly; 3 nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock; 4 and when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that does not fade away.
 
Submit to God, Resist the Devil
 
5 Likewise you younger people, submit yourselves to your elders. Yes, all of you be submissive to one another, and be clothed with humility, for
 
"God resists the proud,
But gives grace to the humble."
 
6 Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, 7 casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.
 
8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. 9 Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world. 10 But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you.  11 To Him be the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.
 

NKJV

No comments: