Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Verse of the Day 6/3

Through the Bible - 2 Chronicles 13-15, John 15:1-17
 
Good morning,
For the last few days we've looked at verses that have shown the importance of "getting to know" God and passing this on.  Today's New Testament reading is in John 15 which correlates very well with this, the chapter deals with "abiding" and the "vine and the branches".
 
John 15:4 Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.
5 "I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.   NKJV

We are to live are lives "connected" to Christ, knowing Him better day by day.  In doing so we will bear much fruit.  Without Him, we can do nothing of significance for the glory of the kingdom.
For today's verse we'll go to the end of this passage.
 
John 15:16 You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you.  17 These things I command you, that you love one another.   NKJV

He has chosen us for a purpose.  We have been privileged to know Him.  MacArthur comments, "Jesus made it clear that such a privilege rested not in their own merit, but on His sovereign choice of them".  One purpose of God's election, His choosing us, is to produce spiritual fruit (see Galatians 5:22).  If we have realized that we have been blessed by God we should not only desire, but strive, give it our best, to be a blessing to others ("blessed to be a blessing - see Genesis 12).  This will bring about the fruit as we love one another and others will "know we are Christians by our love".
 
Barnes commentary states that Jesus is indicating that, "you should be rich in good works; faithful and successful in spreading my gospel. This was the great business to which they were set apart, and this they faithfully accomplished. It may be added that this is the great end for which Christians are chosen. It is not to be idle, or useless, or simply to seek enjoyment. It is to do good, and to spread as far as possible the rich temporal and spiritual blessings which the gospel is fitted to confer on mankind."

Are you abiding in Christ, in His Word?
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
John 15:1-18
 
15 "I am the true grapevine, and my Father is the gardener. 2 He cuts off every branch of mine that doesn't produce fruit, and he prunes the branches that do bear fruit so they will produce even more. 3 You have already been pruned and purified by the message I have given you. 4 Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me.
 
5 "Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing. 6 Anyone who does not remain in me is thrown away like a useless branch and withers. Such branches are gathered into a pile to be burned. 7 But if you remain in me and my words remain in you, you may ask for anything you want, and it will be granted! 8 When you produce much fruit, you are my true disciples. This brings great glory to my Father.
 
9 "I have loved you even as the Father has loved me. Remain in my love. 10 When you obey my commandments, you remain in my love, just as I obey my Father's commandments and remain in his love. 11 I have told you these things so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your joy will overflow! 12 This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you. 13 There is no greater love than to lay down one's life for one's friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command. 15 I no longer call you slaves, because a master doesn't confide in his slaves. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me. 16 You didn't choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name. 17 This is my command: Love each other.    New Living Translation

No comments: