Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Verse of the Day 12/8

Through the Bible - Hosea 3-4, Revelation 2
 
Good morning,
For the next couple of days the New Testament reading above will be going through the seven churches.  As we read them, their strengths and their flaws we will probably find similarities with our own churches.  No church is perfect and can learn a lot from what is contained in these chapters.
 
In Rev. 2:4 Christ has this to say to the church at Ephasus:
Rev 2:4 Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love.  5 Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works,   NKJV

Paul had ministered in Ephesus and had left Timothy there to deal with the problems that had arisen in the church such as false doctrine, disorder in worship, the need for qualified leaders, and materialism .  You can read of this in Paul's letters to Timothy.
 
For today's verses we'll go to 2 Timothy 3 where Paul gives Timothy a glimpse of what keeping that "first love" might look like.
2 Tim 3:10 But you, Timothy, certainly know what I teach, and how I live, and what my purpose in life is. You know my faith, my patience, my love, and my endurance. 11 You know how much persecution and suffering I have endured. You know all about how I was persecuted in Antioch, Iconium, and Lystra—but the Lord rescued me from all of it.   NLT
 
Timothy was being encouraged by Paul to imitate his faith, to hold true to Christ in faith with patience, love, and endurance, things that he would need as he faced those who would oppose the full gospel, those who would compromise as we see in the other churches in Revelation.
 
We, or at least I, do not know a lot about Timothy's ministry but we do know that the church eventually went out of existence.  Some of our churches have been around for over 150 years and have grown, through passing the faith along.  If at some point we fail to do so, they may go out of existence as well.
 
We need to be reminded by this as well as yesterday's challenge to "contend for the faith".  A significant part of that it passing it on to the next generation.
 
I was reading Psalm 78 yesterday, and  I was struck by the psalmist and how he issued the charge to pass the faith along to the next three times within the span of four verses.  Read
 
Ps 78:4-9
4 We will not hide these truths from our children;
we will tell the next generation
about the glorious deeds of the Lord
,
about his power and his mighty wonders.
5 For he issued his laws to Jacob;
he gave his instructions to Israel.
He commanded our ancestors
to teach them to their children,
6 so the next generation might know them

even the children not yet born—
and they in turn will teach their own children.
7 So each generation should set its hope anew on God,
not forgetting his glorious miracles
and obeying his commands.

8 Then they will not be like their ancestors—
stubborn, rebellious, and unfaithful,
refusing to give their hearts to God.  NLT
 
May we be mindful of this,  it can start with passing along the true meaning of Christmas.
 
2 Timothy 3:14 But you must remain faithful to the things you have been taught.
 
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
2 Tim 3:10-4:1
 
Paul's Charge to Timothy
 
10 But you, Timothy, certainly know what I teach, and how I live, and what my purpose in life is. You know my faith, my patience, my love, and my endurance. 11 You know how much persecution and suffering I have endured. You know all about how I was persecuted in Antioch, Iconium, and Lystra—but the Lord rescued me from all of it. 12 Yes, and everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution. 13 But evil people and impostors will flourish. They will deceive others and will themselves be deceived.
 
14 But you must remain faithful to the things you have been taught. You know they are true, for you know you can trust those who taught you. 15 You have been taught the holy Scriptures from childhood, and they have given you the wisdom to receive the salvation that comes by trusting in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. 17 God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work.  NLT
 

 

No comments: