Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Verse of the Day 12/9

Through the Bible - Hosea 5-6, Revelation 3
 
Good morning,
In Revelation 3 this morning, I read the following about the "lukewarm" church.
Rev 3:15 "I know all the things you do, that you are neither hot nor cold. I wish that you were one or the other! 16 But since you are like lukewarm water, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth!  NLT
Whenever I read those verses I'm reminded of a time I was driving through a small Kansas town on a hot summer day.  As I drove through a neighborhood I saw where some kids had set up a stand which had a sign "cold water".  I remembered doing that when I was little and I doubted that they had much traffic in that little town so I stopped to get a drink.  It was terrible, the water was as warm as the day and had a couple of "floaties", unamed particles, floating around in it.  The water had been out there for several hours and what had started out as ice cold turned lukewarm as the ice melted and the heat of the day took over.  I wanted to spit it out, but for the sake of the kids I didn't.  I did stop at the next gas station for an ice cold Coke.
 
Sometimes it can be like that in our churches, especially, as we read yesterday,  if " you don't love God or each other as you did at first!" Rev. 2:4.
We comes seeking "refreshment" from the daily grind along what feels like a dusty road.  Maybe we find it for a time. but politics creep in along with the desire for power, missions becomes more about giving financially than becoming involved personally, and teaching gives way to programs which may be good but don't help us to grow in "the grace and knowledge of our Lord" 2 Peter 3:18.  All these things and more can contribute to the "lukewarmness".
 
What is the answer?  We'll go to the end of the chapter for today's verse:
Rev 3:20 "Look! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends. 21 Those who are victorious will sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat with my Father on his throne. NLT
Often used in personal evangelism or for an alter call, the picture is actually of Christ knocking on the door of the church, waiting for someone, anyone to answer.  The picture of sharing the meal reminds me, again, of John 21 where Jesus sits down for a meal and  teaches Peter and the other disciples about "loving" in Biblical terms.  Jesus told Peter "feed my lambs" - lambs need to be fed, they don't feed themselves they need to be fed the basics, "Shepherd my sheep" - guide or tend to the sheep, meet their spriritual needs; "feed my sheep" teach, challenge and inspire mature or should I at least say "maturing" believers.
 
2 Tim 3:14 But you must remain faithful to the things you have been taught. You know they are true, for you know you can trust those who taught you. 15 You have been taught the holy Scriptures from childhood, and they have given you the wisdom to receive the salvation that comes by trusting in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. 17 God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work.  NLT

John ends the section on the seven churches with this statement.  Rev.3:22 "Anyone with ears to hear must listen to the Spirit and understand what he is saying to the churches." - NLT    Take some time and read through what Jesus had to say to the seven churches and to us in the church today.
 
Blessings,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Rev 3:14-4:1
The Message to the Church in Laodicea
14 "Write this letter to the angel of the church in Laodicea. This is the message from the one who is the Amen—the faithful and true witness, the beginning of God's new creation:
15 "I know all the things you do, that you are neither hot nor cold. I wish that you were one or the other! 16 But since you are like lukewarm water, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth! 17 You say, 'I am rich. I have everything I want. I don't need a thing!' And you don't realize that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked. 18 So I advise you to buy gold from me—gold that has been purified by fire. Then you will be rich. Also buy white garments from me so you will not be shamed by your nakedness, and ointment for your eyes so you will be able to see. 19 I correct and discipline everyone I love. So be diligent and turn from your indifference.
20 "Look! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends. 21 Those who are victorious will sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat with my Father on his throne.
22 "Anyone with ears to hear must listen to the Spirit and understand what he is saying to the churches."   NLT

No comments: