Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Verse of the Day 10/12

Through the Bible - Isaiah 51-53, 1 Thessalonians 3:6-13 
 
Good morning,
Have you ever stopped to think what it means to you to have a "god" as opposed to having a relationship with God, the True God, the Everlasting God?
I read the following post from Pastor Ray Ortlund and thought I'd share it with you.  How would you answer the questions?
 
"What is it to have a god?  What is God?  Answer:  A god is that to which we look for all good and in which we find refuge in every time of need.  To have a god is nothing else than to trust and believe him with our whole heart.  As I have often said, the trust and faith of the heart alone make both God and an idol.  If your faith and trust are right, then your God is the true God.  On the other hand, if your trust is false and wrong, then you have not the true God.  For these two belong together, faith and God.  That to which your heart clings and entrusts itself is, I say, really your God."  - Martin  Luther from the Large Cathecism
 

For today's verse we'll go to Isaiah where the prophet speaks of God, the LORD, the King of Isreal, the Redeemer, the LORD of hosts, the I AM.

Isaiah 44:6 (New King James Version)" Thus says the LORD, the King of Israel,
      And his Redeemer, the LORD of hosts: 
  ' I am the First and I am the Last;
      Besides Me there is no God. "

Pastor Ortlund writes, "It follows that one can worship a false god, with destructive impact, without intending to or even realizing it.  Converting to Christ introduces us not only to him but also to ourselves and the false trusts/gods that lurk in our self-evident thoughts and natural feelings, especially our religious feelings."

 

Where does you faith, hope and trust reside?  Where do your affections lie, to what or whom do you cling to? 

 

Blessings,
Mike

mikevw@bellsouth.net
mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Isaiah 44:6  God, King of Israel,
   your Redeemer, God-of-the-Angel-Armies, says:
"I'm first, I'm last, and everything in between.
   I'm the only God there is.
Who compares with me?
   Speak up. See if you measure up.
From the beginning, who else has always announced what's coming?
   So what is coming next? Anybody want to venture a try?
Don't be afraid, and don't worry:
   Haven't I always kept you informed, told you what was going on?
You're my eyewitnesses:
   Have you ever come across a God, a real God, other than me?
   There's no Rock like me that I know of."
From; The Message

No comments: