Friday, October 22, 2010

Verse of the Day 10/22

Through the Bible - 12-15, 1 Timothy 5:1-6:2,
 
Good morning,
My wife Jean and I have started reading "Companions in Christ" as part of a small group.  The first scripture passage used for study and discussion is from Genesis 12 where Abraham is called to leave "Ur" and follow where God would lead him.
 
It may not jump out at you at first, but the verse points out the common theme of a "God follower" from way back in Genesis to today.  As God's children, His "called out" ones, we are blessed to be a blessing.

Genesis 12:2 (Amplified Bible) 2And I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you [with abundant increase of favors] and make your name famous and distinguished, and you will be a blessing [dispensing good to others].

 

If we are blessed, have received His blessings, we should see this as our mission, to be a blessing as well, to the praise, honor and glory of God.  Age is no factor, Abram was called when he was 75 years old, called to leave the pinnacle of civilization at the time, to the place that "God would show him", in other words a place to be determined.  That takes faith.  Think about what happened through his faith, through God.

 

I know I've shared the hymn, "Make Me a Blessing" before in relation to this verse, I just can't help but share it again.

 

 Out in the highways and byways of life,
many are weary and sad;
are weary and sad
Carry the sunshine where darkness is rife
making the sorrowing glad.

Make me a blessing,
Make me a blessing,
Out of my life
out of my life
May Jesus shine;
Make me a blessing, O savior, I pray,
I pray Thee, my Savior,
Make me a blessing to someone today.

 Tell the sweet story of Christ and His love;
Tell of His pow'r to forgive;
His pow'r to forgive.
Others will trust Him if only you prove
true ev'ry moment you live.

Give as 'twas given to you in your need;
Love as the Master loved you;
Be to the helpless a helper indeed;
Unto your mission be true.

 

If you've been blessed, truly blessed by God, make it your aim today to be true to your mission, to be a blessing.

Blessings,
Mike

mikevw@bellsouth.net
mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Genesis 12 (New King James Version)

Genesis 12

Promises to Abram
 1 Now the LORD had said to Abram:

      "Get out of your country,
      From your family
      And from your father's house,
      To a land that I will show you.

 2 I will make you a great nation;
      I will bless you
      And make your name great;
      And you shall be a blessing.

 3 I will bless those who bless you,
      And I will curse him who curses you;
      And in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed."
4
So Abram departed as the LORD had spoken to him, and Lot went with him. And Abram was seventy-five years old when he departed from Haran. 5 Then Abram took Sarai his wife and Lot his brother's son, and all their possessions that they had gathered, and the people whom they had acquired in Haran, and they departed to go to the land of Canaan. So they came to the land of Canaan

No comments: