Friday, March 11, 2011

Verse of the Day 3/11

Through the Bible - Job 14-16, 1 Corinthians 6
 
Good morning,
In Genesis 22:7 Isaac asked Abraham "where is the lamb for the burnt offering", and Abraham replied, "God will provide the lamb."
 
In the centuries that followed sacrificial lambs would be brought for sacrifices from the time of Moses to David and on through the prophets.  The people brought the lambs, sacrifices were offered but there still needed to be reconciliation, propitiation for their future sins.
 
Isaiah prophesied of Christ's suffering in Isaiah 53 and pointed to the Messiah as the lamb.  Other prophets from Zechariah through Malachi would look for the coming One.
 
Sacrifices would continue to be given even during the 400 years of silence between Malachi and the coming of John the Baptist but the question would still remain, especially through those barren years "where is the lamb"?
 
For today's verse we'll go to John chapter one where John the Baptist introduces Jesus to the crowd that had come to see John who was the "voice crying in the wilderness", preparing the way for the Lord, the Lamb. 
 
 John 1:29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Look! There is the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!
30 He is the one I was talking about when I said, 'Soon a man is coming who is far greater than I am, for he existed long before I did.'   NLT
John's message was one of repentance, of turning to God.   Once Jesus came, men were to realize that they were to stop bringing their own offerings, but to accept His offering, to turn to Him and live in the power of His grace.
 
Sometimes, perhaps often, people still try get right with God by doing things bringing their own offerings, their own "lamb" as it were.  What we need is to come before God empty handed, casting down our golden crowns and coming to Him, accepting Him as the lamb of God who takes away our sin by His death on the cross and His resurrection.
 
Consider these words from the old hymn "Rock of Ages"
 

Not the labor of my hands
Can fulfill Thy law's demands;
Could my zeal no respite know,
Could my tears forever flow,
All for sin could not atone;
Thou must save, and Thou alone.

 

Nothing in my hand I bring,
Simply to the cross I cling;

Blessings,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
mikesvotd.blogspot.com
 
John 1:29-37
29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!
30 This is the one I meant when I said, 'A man who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.'
31 I myself did not know him, but the reason I came baptizing with water was that he might be revealed to Israel."
32 Then John gave this testimony: "I saw the Spirit come down from heaven as a dove and remain on him.
33 I would not have known him, except that the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, 'The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is he who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.'
34 I have seen and I testify that this is the Son of God."
35 The next day John was there again with two of his disciples.
36 When he saw Jesus passing by, he said, "Look, the Lamb of God!"
37 When the two disciples heard him say this, they followed Jesus.   NIV

No comments: