Saturday, March 19, 2011

Verse of the Day - weekend 3/19

Through the Bible - Job 34-35, 1 Corinthians 11:17 - 12
 
Good morning,
Last weekend our church celebrated communion.  For me it was one of the most powerful and humbling communion services that I can remember.  As the bread and the wine were about to be distributed "Jesus Loves Me" was played on the violin.  The words weren't sung, but I'm sure most people went over the words in their minds, "Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so, little ones to Him belong, they are weak but He is strong."
 
Pastor Bob had ended his sermon with what he had referred to as "his life verse".  It will serve as our verse for this weekend.
 
Phil 4:12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do everything through him who gives me strength.   NIV

The song is probably one of the first songs taught to generations of children.  Many learn of Jesus at an early age and come to Jesus in simple faith, learning to trust. 
 
The verse tells of the "secret of being content in any and every situation", it is still maintaining that simple trust.  Not an easy thing to do.
 
The ceremony continued and another song was played instrumentally, "Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus".  As it was played our son Jeff sang the words "and the things of earth will grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace".
 
Most of you know Jeff and that he suffered a traumatic brain injury in a car accident over 11 years ago.  He did not speak for almost two years after the accident and has been disabled from the accident.  Hearing him sing those words brought tears to my eyes then as they do now.  Jeff is disabled but he has been enabled.  By God's grace, he is the example of trust and contentment to me, to our family.  He is not concerned with the things of this world, nice cars, i-phones, clothing or any other material thing, they are dim to him.  His face shines in the light of His glory and grace.  The things that most concern him are love, joy, trust, peace and most of all hope.  After all, he has told us many times that "hope is my favorite thing to have" and that he has "the peace that passes all understanding".
 
We'll close with what I believe is Jeff's life verse, it comes from that same chapter of Philippians.
 
Phil 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.  KJV

Is there something that is robbing you of peace this weekend?  You won't find peace in your own strength, we are weak, but He is strong, and He loves us.  Try turning your eyes upon Jesus.
 
O soul, are you weary and troubled?
No light in the darkness you see?
There's light for a look at the Savior,
And life more abundant and free!
 
Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace.
 
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Phil 4:4-14
 
4  Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone.  The Lord is at hand; 6  do not be anxious about anything,  but in everything by prayer and supplication  with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And  the peace of God,  which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
 
8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. 9 What you have learned and  received and heard and seen  in me—practice these things, and  the God of peace will be with you.
 
God's Provision
 
10 I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length  you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. 11 Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be  content. 12 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and  hunger, abundance and  need. 13 I can do all things  through him who strengthens me.  ESV
 

No comments: