Sunday, March 6, 2011

Verse of the Day 3/7

Through the Bible - Job 3-4, 1 Corinthians 2
 
Good morning,
I recently decided to change the background picture for the "Verse of the Day" from a winter scene to something more "seasonal".  I have also updated some other things on the blog, links to devotionals from "Today in the Word" and Harvest Ministries, as well as a search engine to find phrases and verses referenced in previous blogs as well as desiringgod.org and Harvest Ministries.  Check it out at mikesvotd.blogspot.com.
 
For the photo I chose a photo that was sent to me by my daughter in law Kristen.  When I first saw it, I thought of today's verse.  It was taken from a jet airplane as it went through the clouds.
 
Isa 57:15 For thus says the High and Lofty One
Who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy:
"I dwell in the high and holy place,
With him who has a contrite and humble spirit,
To revive the spirit of the humble,
And to revive the heart of the contrite ones.    NKJV
 
We know that God is not to be found in the clouds but the thoughts of a high and lofty one bring it to mind.  The wonderful thing about our God is that though He we don't see Him, He is omnipresent, He is always there.   The verse brings home the fact that He also dwells in the hearts of His humble servants.
 
In our high school Bible study this Sunday we were finishing up Colossians 3 which spoke of bond servants.  A bond servant was one that had earned his freedom but chose to remain committed to  his master.  No turning back.  Those that humble themselves to serve the High and Lofty one will live with Him and He with us now and for eternity.
 
In his commentary on Colossians, Marcus Maxwell writes that Paul's point to the church there was that "the service and worship of God are not to be found in the spiritual spheres where angels dwell, nor are they attained through religious rules and discipline, but are found in the ordinary life that faces Christians every day."    Commenting on Isaiah 66:2 John MacArthur writes that "God is looking for a heart to dwell in, a heart that is tender and broken, not one concerned with the externalities of religion.. and takes his word seriously."
 
Isa 66:2-  "This is the one I esteem:
he who is humble and contrite in spirit,
and trembles at my word.    NIV
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Isa 57:14-20
 
14 And it will be said:
 
"Build up, build up, prepare the road!
Remove the obstacles out of the way of my people."
15 For this is what the high and lofty One says —
he who lives forever, whose name is holy:
"I live in a high and holy place,
but also with him who is contrite and lowly in spirit,
to revive the spirit of the lowly
and to revive the heart of the contrite.
16 I will not accuse forever,
nor will I always be angry,
for then the spirit of man would grow faint before me —
the breath of man that I have created.
17 I was enraged by his sinful greed;
I punished him, and hid my face in anger,
yet he kept on in his willful ways.
18 I have seen his ways, but I will heal him;
I will guide him and restore comfort to him,
19 creating praise on the lips of the mourners in Israel.
Peace, peace, to those far and near,"
says the Lord. "And I will heal them."  
NIV

No comments: