Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Verse of the Day 12/20

 John 21:25 And there are also many other things that Jesus did, which if they were written one by one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that would be written. Amen.

NKJV

 I gave the eulogy at my father's funeral on Friday.  There was so much to say and even after thinking about it for days, now that it is over, I keep on coming up with other things that I wish I would have said about him, about his life, and about the man he was. 

 

That experience that sense of falling short of capturing the essence of my dad has given me greater appreciation for this verse.  John had completed his marvelous work under the guidance of the Holy Spirit after having much time to put his thoughts together.  Nonetheless, John understood that, it would be humanly impossible for he or any number of writers to fully capture the essence of Jesus.

 

Fast forward to today.  Walk through a Christian bookstore, browse through the aisles, to to an on-line "bookstore" punch in just about any word used remotely related to Christianity and you'll find books, books and more books.  Still, they do not, cannot and will never contain all that there is to know about our Saviour.


May it be our endeavor to know Him more today, here in this life, and experience that Immanuel "God is with us" today and that we will continue to know Him better forevermore

 

Martin Luther - " The Bible is alive, it speaks to me, it has feet, it runs after me, it has hands, it lays hold of me."  The Bible is alive because He is alive, the Everliving Word.

 
Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

John 21:24-25 Amplified Bible (AMP)

24It is this same disciple who is bearing witness to these things and who has recorded (written) them; and we [well] know that his testimony is true.

    25And there are also many other things which Jesus did. If they should be all recorded one by one [in detail], I suppose that even the world itself could not contain (have room for) the books that would be written.

No comments: