Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Verse of the Day 12/21

 John 21:17(ESV) He said to him the third time, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, "Do you love me?" and he said to him, "Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you." Jesus said to him, "Feed my sheep.

 

John MacArthur writes, "when Jesus asked Peter if he loved him, he used a word for love that signifies total commitment.  Peter responded with a word for love that signified his love for Jesus but not his total commitment....in the past, his life did not support such a claim.  Jesus pressed home to Peter the need for unswerving devotion by repeatedly asking him if he loved him supremely."

 

This verse also brought me memories of my dad.  When I was a kid I wanted to be a baseball player, a pitcher.  My dad taught me how to pitch.  He had a slight disability which did not allow him to squat as a catcher.  He would bend over slightly, putting all of his weight on his "good" leg.  This meant he could not get out of the way of a pitch that bounced in, it would hit him in the shins.  Nonetheless, he never complained and took it in stride.

I believe that I developed into a "control" pitcher because I didn't want to hurt my dad.

 

Later, as I got older and threw harder, I continued to pitch to him.  His hand would be raw from catching the pitches but he wouldn't complain.  He was also having problems with his throwing shoulder, with every toss back he would wince in pain.  Still, after dinner he would ask me if I wanted to go out and pitch.  It was an example of his love and commitment.  It was another instance of his being a "see through-er", the long term and relational benefits were worth the pain endured.

 

One of the ways of "feeding" the sheep is to do it with words.  Another way is in action, in acts of love and devotion, not only to family but to others.

My dad left quite a legacy and an example for me and others.

 

A friend and former "little leaguer" responded to yesterday's verse with the following statement, "I was my honor and privilege to know your father. His smile and his loving, happy spirit will never be forgotten by me . He truly lived "Their is Joy in Serving Jesus".  Thanks Dave.

Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com

John 21:15-19English Standard Version (ESV)

 15When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you." He said to him, "Feed my lambs." 16He said to him a second time, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you." He said to him, "Tend my sheep." 17He said to him the third time, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, "Do you love me?" and he said to him, "Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you." Jesus said to him, "Feed my sheep. 18 Truly, truly, I say to you, when you were young, you used to dress yourself and walk wherever you wanted, but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will dress you and carry you where you do not want to go." 19(This he said to show by what kind of death he was to glorify God.) And after saying this he said to him, "Follow me."

No comments: