Friday, December 9, 2011

Verse of the Day 12/9

Verse of the Day 12/9
John 11:25-26   Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. 
26 And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?"    NKJV
Late last week I received word that my dad was seriously ill.  That night I woke up with the following verse in my mind.  John 11:4 When Jesus heard that, He said, "This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God may be glorified through it."  
 
Jesus said this to Mary and Martha who were concerned about their brother Lazarus.  On the surface it appears that He told them that Lazarus wouldn't die.  But what He said was "this will not end" in death.  Jesus delayed in coming to them and healing Lazarus. Lazarus did die, so that he might be raised again to God's glory.
 
The chapter is a fascinating one showing the sovereignty of God, the power of God to heal, or bring someone back to life (in this instance), which displayed His power over death that we may have confidence in today's verse.
 
Though we may die, we too shall live if we put our faith and trust in the One who has power over death..  We shall live forever, with our Saviour, healed and whole, the way were designed to be.
 
I ask for your prayers this morning for my dad and our familly.  He hasn't been given long to live, but I know whom He believes in, and because of this I know that he too shall live again.
 
I love you dad!
 
The following song also came to me that night.  It is a secular song but the words brought a vivid picture of this to mind.  He laid Himself down that he could ease our minds in times of trouble. " Like A Bridge Over Troubled Water" by Simon and Garfunkel.
 
When you're weary
Feeling small
When tears are in your eyes
I will dry them all

When you're down and out
When you're on the street
When evening falls so hard
I will comfort you
I'm on your side

When times get rough
And friends just can't be found
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down

If you need a friend
I'm sailing right behind
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will ease your mind
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will ease your mind
 
Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com
John 11:17-27
17 I Am the Resurrection and the Life So when Jesus came, He found that he had already been in the tomb four days.
18 Now Bethany was near Jerusalem, about two miles away.
19 And many of the Jews had joined the women around Martha and Mary, to comfort them concerning their brother.
20 Now Martha, as soon as she heard that Jesus was coming, went and met Him, but Mary was sitting in the house.
21 Now Martha said to Jesus, "Lord, if You had been here, my brother would not have died.
22 But even now I know that whatever You ask of God, God will give You."
23 Jesus said to her, "Your brother will rise again." 
24 Martha said to Him,"I know that he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day."
25 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. 
26 And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?" 
27 She said to Him, "Yes, Lord, I believe that You are the Christ, the Son of God, who is to come into the world."   NKJV

No comments: