Monday, August 5, 2013

Verse of the Day 8/5

 
Romans 1:16  For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
It has been said by many Bible scholars, theologians, that Romans 1:16-17 are the "heart" of the book of Romans.  We spent several days looking at God's grace and all of the manifestations of His grace are examples of His power.  Here, most importantly we are reminded of the "good news" that His power is saving power.  His amazing grace to  free us from the "chains" that held us captive.  Paul proclaimed the message, later John Newton would write and we still sing of His amazing grace and His power to save a wretch like me.
 
When someone is saved from an accident, delivered from an illness, or a hostage is freed, don't they want to tell about it?  The news if filled with such things.  If God has done wondrous things for us, why aren't we willing to proclaim, to share it with others?  Part of it may be fear of "push back" from our culture, with accusations that Christianity is intolerant, arrogant and restrictive.
 
Paul faced similar if not more intense pressure.  John Piper writes that Paul, "in spite of all the cultured Greeks who mock me as preaching foolishness and all the unbelieving Jews who deride me as preaching a false Christ, I am not ashamed of the gospel.  Why?  "For it is the power of God unto salvation".  In other words, this message of Christ crucified for the sake of sinners, of Christ raised from the dead as the Son of God in power (Rom. 1:4), of grace given freely to those who will trust in Jesus - this message will bring all who bank on it to everlasting salvation."
 
In this day and age, people are  banking on many different things, hoping to get by.  Who are we banking on?  Are we willing to share the good news of God's amazing grace?

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Romans 1:15-17

Amplified Bible (AMP)

15 So, for my part, I am willing and eagerly ready to preach the Gospel to you also who are in Rome.

16 For I am not ashamed of the Gospel (good news) of Christ, for it is God's power working unto salvation [for deliverance from eternal death] to everyone who believes with a personal trust and a confident surrender and firm reliance, to the Jew first and also to the Greek,

17 For in the Gospel a righteousness which God ascribes is revealed, both springing from faith and leading to faith [disclosed through the way of faith that arouses to more faith]. As it is written, The man who through faith is just and upright shall live and shall live by faith.

No comments: