Thursday, August 8, 2013

Verse of the Day 8/8

 
Romans 2:7-8  Some people, by always continuing to do good, live for God's glory, for honor, and for life that has no end. God will give them life forever. But other people are selfish. They refuse to follow truth and, instead, follow evil. God will give them his punishment and anger.  New Century Version (NCV)
 
The Bible and the world around us is full of examples of people who have been led astray by pride, by human accomplishment, who have sought their own glory.  It is something that can be seen in evil monarchs and the good,  Nebuchadnezzar and Solomon are examples that come to mind.
 
Yesterday in a blog, I read this quote from another ancient monarch, Adad- Nirari ll:  "I am royal, I am lordly, I am mighty, I am honored, I am exalted, I am glorified, I am powerful, I am all-powerful, I am brilliant, I am lion-brave, I am manly, I am supreme, I am noble."  A statement as such reveals a selfish king or ruler who can only think of his power, his glory, his legacy, with no regard for others, let alone the God who created all that is.  Kind of reminds me of an old "Honeymooner's" episode where Jackie Gleason says to Alice, "I'm king and you're nothin" to which she responds, well I guess that makes you the king of nothing."
 
We follow Jesus, who left a different legacy and gives us an example to live by that will honor Him now, bringing life that has no end, into an eternity with Him.  He lowered Himself and lifted others.
 
"But stripped Himself [of all privileges and [a]rightful dignity], so as to assume the guise of a servant (slave), in that He became like men and was born a human being." Philippians 2:7 Amplified Bible (AMP)

 

How now shall we then live?

In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Romans 2:6-8

New Century Version (NCV)

God will reward or punish every person for what that person has done. Some people, by always continuing to do good, live for God's glory, for honor, and for life that has no end. God will give them life forever. But other people are selfish. They refuse to follow truth and, instead, follow evil. God will give them his punishment and anger.

No comments: