Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Verse of the Day 6/18

 
Isaiah 66:2  My hand made all these things,
and so they all came into being.
This is the Lord's declaration.
I will look favorably on this kind of person:
one who is humble, submissive[a] in spirit,
and trembles at My word.   Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
 
Yesterday we considered what it means to "hunger and thirst" for a right standing before God, not only for ourselves, but our friends, our church and our community.  Today's verse from the final chapter of the book of Isaiah tells of the ones that God will "look favorably" on, those who he will bless, those who are humble, submissive to God and "tremble" at His Word.
 
R.C. Sproul writes, "In order for us to be rightly related to God, we must know Him, and we cannot know Him if we are not concerned about Him taught in His Word.  This is why believers must be concerned with God's truth more than anything else.  Love for the truth is something that the Holy Spirit must grant us, and hunger for the truth of God's revelation is one sure sign that the Lord has done His work in us."  Do you have a love for God's truth, do you tremble at the Word of God?
 
The Amplified Bible puts it this way, puts some emphasis on some key words, some key conditions of the heart.   "But this is the man to whom I will look and have regard: he who is humble and of a broken or wounded spirit, and who trembles at My word and reveres My commands."  The broken or wounded spirit reminds us of David in Psalm 51, the ESV uses the same word "contrite", literally a heart crushed like mortar, but mortar is something that is used to build upon.  God's Word can break our pride, can humble us, make us aware of how sinful in ourselves we really are, can make us tremble, to revere God and cause us to turn towards Him and put us in right standing.  Even this right standing is not something that we achieve, it "comes through Jesus Christ to the glory and praise of God."
 
Philippians 1:9-11 And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, 10 so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, 11 filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.   English Standard Version (ESV)
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Isaiah 66:1-2

The Message (MSG)

Living Worship to God

66 1-2 God's Message:

"Heaven's my throne,
    earth is my footstool.
What sort of house could you build for me?
    What holiday spot reserve for me?
I made all this! I own all this!"
    God's Decree.
"But there is something I'm looking for:
    a person simple and plain,
    reverently responsive to what I say.

No comments: