Thursday, June 19, 2014

Verse of the Day 6/19

 
Philippians 1:6  And I am convinced and sure of this very thing, that He Who began a good work in you will continue until the day of Jesus Christ [right up to the time of His return], developing [that good work] and perfecting and bringing it to full completion in you.  Amplified Bible (AMP)
 
Our Pastor Bob closed his message last week with this verse. It fit in well with Joseph's life story in Genesis.  As he concluded his sermon Bob asked "do you believe this?" in reference to the verse.  From his wheelchair our son Jeff yelled out "I do".  We know he does.
 
Today, our younger son Jason is defending his dissertation for his doctorate in theology and philosophy.  His story is another one of faith.  Diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor early on in college, he never let it keep him down, or better said, God never let it keep him down.  God was not finished with him yet.  Thankfully and prayerfully a couple of years ago an MRI revealed that the tumor was "no longer there".  What a praise that was, it was truly a miracle.  As The Message says in verse 3, it may be said of Jason, "every time you cross my mind, I break out in exclamations of thanks to God."  It is so today.
 
No matter what we face today, may we have faith, may we have the confidence and be convinced of this very thing,  that God is not finished with us and He will be faithful in fulfilling His plans for us.
 
He Who Began a Good Work in You  (Steve Green)
 
He who began a good work in you
He who began a good work in you
Will be faithful to complete it
He'll be faithful to complete it
He who started the work
Will be faithful to complete it in you

If the struggle you're facing
Is slowly replacing
Your hope with despair
Or the process is long
And you're losing your song
In the night you can be sure
That the Lord has His hand on you
Safe and secure
He will never abandon you
You are His treasure
And He finds His pleasure in you
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Philippians 1:5-8

The Message (MSG)

A Love That Will Grow

3-6 Every time you cross my mind, I break out in exclamations of thanks to God. Each exclamation is a trigger to prayer. I find myself praying for you with a glad heart. I am so pleased that you have continued on in this with us, believing and proclaiming God's Message, from the day you heard it right up to the present. There has never been the slightest doubt in my mind that the God who started this great work in you would keep at it and bring it to a flourishing finish on the very day Christ Jesus appears.

7-8 It's not at all fanciful for me to think this way about you. My prayers and hopes have deep roots in reality. You have, after all, stuck with me all the way from the time I was thrown in jail, put on trial, and came out of it in one piece. All along you have experienced with me the most generous help from God. He knows how much I love and miss you these days. Sometimes I think I feel as strongly about you as Christ does!

No comments: