Sunday, June 8, 2014

Verse of the Day 6/8

 
Acts 10:44 While Peter was still saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell on all who heard the word.  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
Reading today's verse and how the Holy Spirit "fell" on the people of the early church, I was reminded of the song "Spirit of the Living God".
 
Spirit of the living God, fall afresh on me; 
Spirit of the living God, fall afresh on me. 
Melt me, mold me, fill me, use me. 
Spirit of the living God, fall afresh on me. 
 
The call is for God to melt, mold, fill and use us for His purposes and His glory.  So often our prayers to God are "give me".  Please give me this or give me that.  The song and the power of the Holy Spirit are through submitting, it is not a matter of giving it is a matter of making, making us who we are to be.
 
I'm reminded once again of the story of the prodigal son in Luke 15.  The son asks the father to "give him" what is coming to him, his inheritance.  After being blowing it all on extravagance and wild living he is finally humbled, he comes to himself and realizes that his heart was all wrong.  He comes back to the father and says "make me" (Luke 15:19 NKJV) as one of your servants.
 
As we come before God with our prayers and requests may we be aware of the attitude of our hearts in them.  Are they "give me" or "make me".  His Spirit will come, will fall upon those who come to Him and ask Him "make me what you will".
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Acts 10:44-48

The Message (MSG)

44-46 No sooner were these words out of Peter's mouth than the Holy Spirit came on the listeners. The believing Jews who had come with Peter couldn't believe it, couldn't believe that the gift of the Holy Spirit was poured out on "outsider" non-Jews, but there it was—they heard them speaking in tongues, heard them praising God.

46-48 Then Peter said, "Do I hear any objections to baptizing these friends with water? They've received the Holy Spirit exactly as we did." Hearing no objections, he ordered that they be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ.

Then they asked Peter to stay on for a few days.

No comments: