Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Verse of the Day 6/4

 
John 14:6  Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
In yesterday's devotional I referred to the "bookends" in Galatians 5:16 and 25 about "walking by the Spirit".  Today's passage is from the read through the Bible plan that I follow. It contains what are probably my favorite "bookends" in the Bible - "let not your heart be troubled" found in verses 1 and 27 in this wonderful chapter.  Today's verse is part of what is sandwiched in between along with the sending of the Holy Spirit, the Comforter also mentioned in the passage.
 
This verse is probably not well received in this politically correct, pluralistic culture.  In it  Jesus says that He is the way, not a way, He is the truth, not a truth, He is the life and that no one will see the Father except through Him.  Strong words indeed and for those that believe them and believe in Him, the Holy Spirit will dwell in them, the Comforter will be with them.
 
I've read that the word for comfort means to come alongside to help, but not only to help but to strengthen.  Have you experienced this in your life, God sending His Spirit to dwell within  you in difficult times, coming alongside, strengthening you and seeing you through the dark hours?  It all points back to today's verse that Jesus is the way, the truth and the life.  If you believe this Jesus tells you "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid."  John 14:27 English Standard Version (ESV)
 
There are many paths that you can go down through life, Jesus is the "Road" (The Message) to where we want to be for eternity.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

John 14:5-7

The Message (MSG)

Thomas said, "Master, we have no idea where you're going. How do you expect us to know the road?"

6-7 Jesus said, "I am the Road, also the Truth, also the Life. No one gets to the Father apart from me. If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him. You've even seen him!"

No comments: