Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Verse of the Day 12/23

 
John 4:49-50   "Sir," the official said to Him, "come down before my boy dies!"

50 "Go," Jesus told him, "your son will live." The man believed what[a] Jesus said to him and departed.  Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

 
Today's verse comes from John chapter 4, a passage that our men's Bible study went through this week.  It is the account where a nobleman's son was healed by the word of Jesus from a distance of many miles.  What struck me about this verse in this season are the words of the official and his reaction to Jesus' words.
 
At Christmas we celebrate a time when "heaven came down", when "God came near" and left His throne that He would save us.  The man was desperate for Jesus.  Nothing else had worked or would work to revive his son who was at the point of death.  He left his son at home and travelled many miles to see Jesus, his only hope.  When Jesus spoke to him and said the words that he wanted to hear, he left and returned home in faith.
 
Many of us may have loved ones who do not know the Lord.  We hope that it may be time with the family or a church Christmas service that may touch their heart.  Our cry might be that Jesus come down before they die.  We long to hear the words of Jesus, "go, your son will live".
 
These thoughts brought me back to the time of our son Jeff's accident.  I was out of town on business when I received the call that he had been in an accident and had been air lifted to a hospital in the Chicago area.  I didn't know if he was alive. It seemed like forever waiting for word.  I called and got through to the hospital and told them that I was Jeff's father and could they at least tell me that he was alive.  For whatever reason, whatever policy, all they would tell me was to get there as soon as possible.  All I wanted to hear was "your son is alive", better yet your son will live, but they would not tell me.  I never prayed so hard in my life.  I prayed that my son would live.  Thankfully, Jesus answered that prayer, "He came down".  His healing process has been going on for 15 years and he lives, he loves his life, and he loves his Savior.
 
I don't know what it would be like to face a situation like that without knowing, without believing, without having faith in God.  There are many around us, perhaps close to us that may not have that assurance.  May that be our prayer this season, that Jesus would "come down" and bring salvation to that family member.  May we be able to go on day by day in faith that we will receive news like that of the official "your son lives."
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

 

John 4:48-51The Message (MSG)

46-48 Now he was back in Cana of Galilee, the place where he made the water into wine. Meanwhile in Capernaum, there was a certain official from the king's court whose son was sick. When he heard that Jesus had come from Judea to Galilee, he went and asked that he come down and heal his son, who was on the brink of death. Jesus put him off: "Unless you people are dazzled by a miracle, you refuse to believe."

49 But the court official wouldn't be put off. "Come down! It's life or death for my son."

50-51 Jesus simply replied, "Go home. Your son lives."

The man believed the bare word Jesus spoke and headed home. On his way back, his servants intercepted him and announced, "Your son lives!"

No comments: