Sunday, December 7, 2014

Verse of the Day 12/7

 
Psalm 20:7-8 Some trust in chariots and some in horses,
    but we trust in the name of the Lord our God.
They collapse and fall,
    but we rise and stand upright.  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
Yesterday I referenced Isaiah chapter 40 which ends with the thoughts that those who trust in the Lord will rise, they will "mount up with wings like eagles".  I read today's passage and the words in verse 8 of rising and standing upright brought me back to Isaiah 40 and the images there.
 
Psalm 20 begins with David saying "May the Lord answer you in the day of trouble!  May the name of the God of Jacob protect you!  Notice the exclamation points.  You get the picture that he is writing this for people who are feeling down, uncertain about what is going on in their lives.  He is encouraging them to trust in the Lord more than anything in the world.  The most encouraging thing about this is that we will rise above it all.  It may not be today or tomorrow, but one day we will rise for eternity and be whole, along with friends and loved ones who share our faith, our trust in the Lord.
 
In writing this, one of my favorite Chris Tomlin songs come to mind - "I Will Rise".
 
There's a peace I've come to know
Though my heart and flesh may fail
There's an anchor for my soul
I can say, "it is well"

Jesus has overcome
And the grave is overwhelmed
The victory is won
He is risen from the dead

Chorus:
I will rise when He calls my name
No more sorrow, no more pain
I will rise on eagles' wings
Before my God, fall on my knees
And rise
I will rise
 
May these words, this passage remind us as we read from The Message in verse 6, "that clinches it - help is coming, the answer is on the way, everything's going to work out."  May we rise above it all "on our feet, standing tall" (v.8 The Message).
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

 

Psalm 20:6-8The Message (MSG)

That clinches it—help's coming,
    an answer's on the way,
    everything's going to work out.

7-8 See those people polishing their chariots,
    and those others grooming their horses?
    But we're making garlands for God our God.
The chariots will rust,
    those horses pull up lame—
    and we'll be on our feet, standing tall.

No comments: