Monday, December 29, 2014

Verse of the Day 12/29

 
John 6:35 Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
In this day and age, with all of the "low carb" diets and allergies that require a gluten free diet, bread may not seem as much of a staple in our diets as it has been through the ages.  Yet, when there is the threat of a winter storm, what are the first things that are cleared from the grocery store shelves?  Bread and milk.  I have also noticed that you can usually tell a good restaurant by the bread that they serve prior to putting out the main course.  I guess that it could be if they put the time and effort into the bread you can count on them putting their best into the main course.
 
In today's passage Jesus refers to Himself twice as "the bread of life" and also the "living bread".  Bread was something that satisfied, nourished and sustained people. Along with water, it was viewed upon as a necessity of life.  For the Christian our faith in Jesus is something that should be a necessity of life.  We should be fed by the time we spend in His Word and in communion with Him in prayer.  It is important that He states that He is the "living bread".  He is not something that is consumed and then needs to be replenished at some point.  He is with us and can feed us continually if we are willing.
 
Jesus said , "whoever comes to me" shall not hunger.  As we prepare for the New Year and the resolutions that go along with it, may our primary goal be to go to Him to be fed, day by day by the bread of life, the bread of heaven, Jesus and His Word.  As The Message points out (below) "once that person is with me, I hold on and don't let go."
 
Guide me, O Thou great Jehovah,
[or Guide me, O Thou great Redeemer…]
Pilgrim through this barren land.
I am weak, but Thou art mighty;
Hold me with Thy powerful hand.
Bread of Heaven, Bread of Heaven,
Feed me till I want no more;
Feed me till I want no more.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

 

John 6:32-38The Message (MSG)

32-33 Jesus responded, "The real significance of that Scripture is not that Moses gave you bread from heaven but that my Father is right now offering you bread from heaven, the real bread. The Bread of God came down out of heaven and is giving life to the world."

34 They jumped at that: "Master, give us this bread, now and forever!"

35-38 Jesus said, "I am the Bread of Life. The person who aligns with me hungers no more and thirsts no more, ever. I have told you this explicitly because even though you have seen me in action, you don't really believe me. Every person the Father gives me eventually comes running to me. And once that person is with me, I hold on and don't let go. I came down from heaven not to follow my own whim but to accomplish the will of the One who sent me.

No comments: