Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Verse of the Day 4/29


 

1 John 5:11-12 And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son.

12 The one who has the Son has life. The one who doesn't have the Son of God does not have life.  Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

Today was one of those mornings where I did not have a clear idea of what verse to use.  This passage from 1 John 5 was the first one I read this morning.  I left it open on my I-pad as I read other things in my devotions.  I came back to it a couple of times and in the end, just had the conviction that someone needed to read these words, so here they are.

I would say that everyone is looking for a good life, a better life, some devoting more time to it than others.  But if that search does not involved God, does not involve Jesus, it is a futile, frustrating, empty search.

John is giving us his testimony and if we also believe, it is ours, that this life in Christ that we have, that we possess, is the grace and power to live day by day in faith.  It is the day by day experience of knowing Christ in one's life.  Something that we'll carry as it carries us from here to eternity. 

In the following verse John writes, " I write these things "that you may know that you have eternal life".  He is writing to you and me.  To give us confidence to face the day, knowing that He is with us, not just beside us, but in us to give us "strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow".  It is a reality, not an illusion (The Message). Great is His faithfulness.

Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com

1 John 5:11-15The Message (MSG)

11-12 This is the testimony in essence: God gave us eternal life; the life is in his Son. So, whoever has the Son, has life; whoever rejects the Son, rejects life.

The Reality, Not the Illusion

13-15 My purpose in writing is simply this: that you who believe in God's Son will know beyond the shadow of a doubt that you have eternal life, the reality and not the illusion. And how bold and free we then become in his presence, freely asking according to his will, sure that he's listening. And if we're confident that he's listening, we know that what we've asked for is as good as ours.

No comments: