Friday, May 15, 2015

Verse of the Day 5/15


Exodus 33:18-19Moses said, "Please show me your glory." 19 And he said, "I will make all my goodness pass before you and will proclaim before you my name 'The Lord.' And I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy.   English Standard Version (ESV)

I've been on my own  two year reading plan through the Old Testament and part of today's reading was from this passage in Exodus 33.  In the passage, Moses first prays "show me Your way, that I may know You" and later in the passage he prays to God "show me your glory".  Both times, Moses reveals that he has a heart for God.

Yesterday we considered the graduates those who have recently graduated from college or will soon be graduating from High School.  Many, if not most of them, are mainly thinking of their own glory, moving on to a career where they will make a name for themselves, and find a place in the sun.  Our prayer and our advice to them would be more to have a heart like Moses, for God to show them "their way, that they'd know Him and  that they would confidently know that God would indeed show them His glory.

It is interesting to note that Moses said the prayer, called out to God, but God did the rest, He gave Moses a place to stand, placed him in service, covered him with His hand, then passed by and revealed Himself.  He can do the same thing for today's students and for us.  Are we wiling to ask in the same way, to see God's glory in what He will do through us?

Max Lucado writes "God is the One who will equip us for our eternal moment in the Son.  Hasn't He given us a rock, the Lord Jesus?  Hasn't He given us a cleft, His grace?  Hasn't He covered us with His hand, His pierced hand?   ..... Ask God to reveal Himself"  -  to students, colleagues, friends and neighbors.  In showing His glory, He will be glorified.

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Exodus 33:12-19The Message (MSG)

12-13 Moses said to God, "Look, you tell me, 'Lead this people,' but you don't let me know whom you're going to send with me. You tell me, 'I know you well and you are special to me.' If I am so special to you, let me in on your plans. That way, I will continue being special to you. Don't forget, this is your people, your responsibility."

14 God said, "My presence will go with you. I'll see the journey to the end."

15-16 Moses said, "If your presence doesn't take the lead here, call this trip off right now. How else will it be known that you're with me in this, with me and your people? Are you traveling with us or not? How else will we know that we're special, I and your people, among all other people on this planet Earth?"

17 God said to Moses: "All right. Just as you say; this also I will do, for I know you well and you are special to me. I know you by name."

18 Moses said, "Please. Let me see your Glory."

19 God said, "I will make my Goodness pass right in front of you; I'll call out the name, God, right before you. I'll treat well whomever I want to treat well and I'll be kind to whomever I want to be kind."

  

No comments: