Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Verse of the Day 5/27



Philippians 4:12-13 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. 13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me.  English Standard Version (ESV)


Yesterday we considered how religion is about what people do while Christianity is about what God has already done through Jesus Christ.  All too often we have to come to a point where we realize that we can't make it on our own.  We don't have the answers to get us out of a situation and we certainly cannot earn our way into God's favor.  To even attempt it would be futile and drive us deeper into frustration and ultimately despair.

The way of deliverance is in surrender to Him allow Him to come and guide you, His presence being within you.  Matthew 11:28 -30 come to mind where Jesus says "come to me" and you will find "rest for your souls'.  James Bryan Smith writes in "The Good and Beautiful God" - "To abide means to rest in and rely on Jesus, who is not outside of us, judging us, but inside of us, empowering us."  What a picture.  We can put on our WWJD bracelets and think what Jesus would do in our own minds, but if it is in our own thoughts and strength it is still "on us".

Today's verse gives credit to God, it is God in His love that gives us the strength to do and to face "all things".  Go back to Romans 8:26-39 and note the references to "all things" it is sobering and grounding.

In the same book Smith quotes James S. Stewart in "A Man in Christ" - "Christ in me means something quite different from the weight of an impossible ideal... Christ in me means Christ bearing me along from within.  Christ the motive power that carries me on.  Christ giving my whole life a wonderful poise and lift, and turning every burden into wings...not as something you have to bear but as something by which you are borne."

Let Christ and His love be the "motive power" in your life to lift you out of the miry clay of trying to do it on your own and set your feet on the rock. (Psalm 40:2).
I was sinking deep in sin, far from the peaceful shore,
Very deeply stained within, sinking to rise no more;
But the Master of the sea heard my despairing cry,
From the waters lifted me, now safe am I.
Refrain:
Love lifted me! Love lifted me!
When nothing else could help,
Love lifted me.
Love lifted me! Love lifted me!
When nothing else could help,
Love lifted me

Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Philippians 4:13The Message (MSG)

Content Whatever the Circumstances

10-14 I'm glad in God, far happier than you would ever guess—happy that you're again showing such strong concern for me. Not that you ever quit praying and thinking about me. You just had no chance to show it. Actually, I don't have a sense of needing anything personally. I've learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances. I'm just as happy with little as with much, with much as with little. I've found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am. I don't mean that your help didn't mean a lot to me—it did. It was a beautiful thing that you came alongside me in my troubles.

No comments: