Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Verse of the Day 1/20

 
Psalm 77:11-12   I will remember the deeds of the Lord;
    yes, I will remember your wonders of old.
12 I will ponder all your work,
    and meditate on your mighty deeds.  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
There are times in our lives when we face uncertainties regarding health issues, financial strains, and relational troubles.  In these times we can become discouraged and our minds race to and fro fretting on what will happen next.  What the psalmist call for here is good advice for us.  Go back, allow the Holy Spirit to call to remembrance what God has done in our lives, and not only our lives but for othes who have gone through similar situations.
 
Without God or forgetting about these things we become skeptics and our own worse critics.  David relates to this in Psalm 73 when he said "I was brutish and ignorant, I was like a beast towards you".  Can you think of a time, perhaps right now when you've been "like a beast" towards God?  If you don't think so, how about to someone else, have you been a beast to your spouse or a parent?  I know I have.  If you have, it is likely that you've been that way to God too.
 
John Piper points out that "the great turn from despair to hope in Psalm 77 comes with these words: "I will remember the deeds of the Lord, yes I will remember your wonders of old, I will ponder all of your work, and meditate on your mighty deeds."    Piper states, "This is the great battle of my life.  I assume yours too.  The battle to remind!  Myself.  Then others.".
 
It sounds so simple but it is hard to put into practice.   The old country hymn "It Is No Secret What God Can Do" sung by Elvis Presley and others,  came to mind.  It is that call to remember and remind others of what God can do.
 
It is no secret what God can do.
What He's done for others, He'll do for you.
With arms wide open, He'll pardon you.
It is no secret what God can do.
 
There is no night for in His light
You never walk alone.
Always feel at home,
Wherever you may go.
 
There is no power can conquer you
While God is on your side.
Take Him at His promise,
Don't run away and hide.
 
 
 
Blessings,
 
Mike
 
Psalm 77:11-15The Message (MSG)
11-12 Once again I'll go over what God has done,
    lay out on the table the ancient wonders;
I'll ponder all the things you've accomplished,
    and give a long, loving look at your acts.
13-15 O God! Your way is holy!
    No god is great like God!
You're the God who makes things happen;
    you showed everyone what you can do—
You pulled your people out of the worst kind of trouble,
    rescued the children of Jacob and Joseph.
 
 
 
 
 
Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

No comments: